Sawing wood for multifuel fire

Options
I've been cutting up surplus / scrap timber and pallets for a while now with a relatively inexpensive electric bench mitre saw ex B&Q.
It finally gave up the ghost earlier today and I was wondering whether to replace it with something similar or a cheap table type saw.

Anyone similar experiences and/or recommendations?

Comments

• deano72_2
    deano72_2 Posts: 786 Forumite
    Options
    from my exsperiance sawing wood for the fire is v labour intensive,spend as much as you can afford to make life easier for you,maybe a half decent table saw second hand
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to break pallets up with a lump hammer and saw with a cheap B&Q saw. Occasionally using a axe. I also break up for kindling small pieces of wood with a bolster hammer and chisel or just use a small axe

I did have a woodern block to use to break up the wood so didnt damage concrete base
  • fluffymuffy
    fluffymuffy Posts: 3,329 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't electric saws use lots of electricity? Does it really save money to use scraps of wood to burn if you've spent ££££s sawing them up?
    I am the Cat who walks by itself and all places are alike to me.
  • spartacus173500
    Options
    'spending £££'s in electricity' - not sure,
    but I'm sure i can 'rationialise' the argument by considering about
    - the other fuel I'm not buying and burning - coal
    - the alternative haeting sources i'm saving - electricity, oil
    - the landfill I'm not contributing to / saving
    - the mileage / fuel saved in collecting / transporting etc.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't electric saws use lots of electricity? Does it really save money to use scraps of wood to burn if you've spent ££££s sawing them up?

just to put this into perspective, last week I spent 1 hour sawing a shed load of logs (enough for 3 months' worth) with my 1800 watt chainsaw. It cost me the grand sum of 18 pence.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can use jigsaws, I just found it easier to use axe, saw and lump hammer.

Pallet wood is quiet soft so I find ite asy to use a cheap saw. I put the sawdust in compost bin so no waste
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried using an axe?

The benefits being its cheap and it'll keep you fit ;p
  • spartacus173500
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    You can use jigsaws, I just found it easier to use axe, saw and lump hammer.

Pallet wood is quiet soft so I find ite asy to use a cheap saw. I put the sawdust in compost bin so no waste

Sawdust into compost bin - never thought of that.
    Thx - more waste saved!
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I jsut use a circular saw to cut scrap wood into about 6" pieces, then an axe to split it into kindling.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • make_life_easier
    Options
    Has anyone any suggestions what I can buy to cut my logs with, I have tried using a bow saw but it has been a lot of hard work, using the bowsaw for small logs and scraps of wood is fine but the bigger logs it's pretty well hard work, so I am looking to purchase an electric saw that will do the job in no time
    became debt free December 06
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport