Divorce questions

Options
Sometime ago I read on the boards about a cheapo online type of divorce, at that time I just sort of glanced at it, but now I would like some more information.

There are no kids involved, and I am very unhappy in this relationship, and the only way out I can see is a divorce.
I would like some advice on how these online divorces work, do they do all the leg work, do we still have to appear at the divorce courts.
I dont really want to go and hire a solicitor, as sometimes I think they want to make money from you, plus I havent got a lot money.

If both parties agree to the divorce, and can sort out things amicably between them, how diffilcut and costly can the online divorce be?.

I would really appreciate it if someone has experienced this, and if they could take the time to try and explain it to me as simply as possible, or even if there is another way other than an online one.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    Options
    You dont need to pay for the online service you can do it yourself and dont be fooled by them saying divorce for £89.99 you still ahve to pay the court fees. Just go to your local court and ask them for the forms. I believe in total it will cost about £340 which breaks down into £300 when you submit the paperwork and £40 for your decree absolute. You can download guides which will help you fill in the paperwork or i do believe there may be someone at the court who can help if you are really struggling. There is also another piece of paper you need to get which finalises all the financials so that neither party can come back at a later date and make a further claim unfortunately i have no knowledge of what that is called or how much it costs but i dont think it is very much at all.

If i have got anything wrong there are people with far more knowledge than me who will be along shortly i'm sure :-) x
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Dont know about online divorce I am afraid but it might be a good idea to find a local solicitor who does free advice sessions. Most towns have one that will do this ,usually its an hour session and needs to be booked... but you should be able to find info. in your local press or online.
    I think it might be more helpful to see someone face to face and find out where you stand . The CAB might also be able to offer some help.
    Sorry to hear you are so unhappy and hope this is in some way helpful.
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • mackemdave
    Options
    I did my divorce without solicitors or these on line divorce sites....Yes its £340 all in....no need for court appearance...Good idea to get a consent order which sorts out the finacial side of things so no come back on either side
  • jakem_2
    jakem_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for all your help :-)

So, are you saying If I go into the court and get the paperwork that I dont have to pay anything till I actually fill it in and hand it over?

What court would I need to go to, ie a county court?
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    Just bumping it up :D

I would be interested in the answer as well.
  • xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2010 at 8:05PM
    Options
    I believe it is county court yes but you may be wise to check online as my local county court doesnt offer divorce proceedings so i have to go to the next town.

Yes you dont pay anything until your ready to actually file for divorce you can get the paper work at no cost.

You can even download it of the internet if you have a printer but it may be wise to speak to someone at the court house so you know exactly what you need to do. :-)
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • mackemdave
    Options
    Yes County Court...you need to fill in three copies of the paper work then take it back to the court with £300 and they send a copy to your wife asking if she agrees to it....You have to go to the court and swear on the bible that everything is true...Then takes about 6 wks or so for nisi you then have to wait for a certain number of days...forgotten how long...then you apply for absolute which cost £40...People say dont appply for absolute until you have the consemt order all stamped...not sure why.

If you need any assistance go to the forums at www.ondivorce.co.uk its under the Community section
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jakem wrote: »
    Many thanks for all your help :-)

So, are you saying If I go into the court and get the paperwork that I dont have to pay anything till I actually fill it in and hand it over?

What court would I need to go to, ie a county court?

Ok, this is what i did.

Rang the local county court and got the forms sent to me. They were really helpful on the phone and sent a leaflet explaining how to fill the forms in.

I posted the forms back to the courts with a cheque for £300 (ish, it might have been a bit less, it varies slightly county to county)

I had to go to the reception area of the court offices just to swear on the bible that it was all true and that i am who i said i was.

The divorce was heard and granted in court, neither one of us had to appear. Nisi was granted.

After so many weeks (sorry, around eight weeks, i think, not sure) you can apply for the absolute, - £40, job done.

hth

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport