Barclays running costs

Options
I want to talk about the charges for running an account. I have an authorised o/d which I was regularly using. I was in the bank one day (Barclays) when the cashier told me about a new account where I would get lots of benefits such as travel insurance and various other things (I have never used any!). The cost of running this account would be £25 per month regardless of the o/d facility. If I did not take this option I would have to revert to a basic account with no o/d facility or debit card facility. I would then have had to pay back my o/d. What use is a bank account without a debit card facility. I had no choice and so have had to pay £25 per month for using my bank account, over a year that is a lot of money. To me this proves that the banks are out to make a profit from it's customers, in whatever way it can. I had no choice but to pay this £25 per month to run an account that was no different to the way it had been run the previous month. They are thieves/robbers but they do it with the customers knowledge. I was put in a position where I could not say NO - I would not have had an account with a debit card facility if I had said no. I am however going to try and get my money back because I feel I was put in an unacceptable positon

Comments

• LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You had the option of not using the overdraft, in which case it wouldn't have mattered. The basic account still comes with a debit card, but no overdraft facility.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    You can just cancel the "extras" now without losing the debit card or overdraft facility.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family