We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Splashback tiling...

Options
...in a new kitchen, should one tile down to the worktop, or push the worktop back to the tiles??? :confused:

Ta!
I love a nice juicy "kebab"... ;)

Comments

• Steve_Boorman
    Steve_Boorman Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi...put the worktop in first...then tile on top of it...ie from the worktop upwards.If you tile first then position worktop, if the wall is not straight then it is quite likely you will crack a tile or two . It is also much easier to seal if the tiles are on top of the worktop..hides any imperfections.
  • shona_2
    shona_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    On a similar vein, does anyone know the best way to finish off splashback tiling?
    We're going to put it against the back wall of 2 runs of base and wall units, but also against the sidewalls (to cover where old horrid tiles were). But as wall units aren't as deep as base units, I'm unsure where to bring the tiles out to, and whether eg to try and end them simply with a straight vertical row, or cut them at an angle.

Any suggestions, or could people tell me how it was done in their kitchen?

Also is it best to finish tiles with one of these plastic quadrant-type edge things?

Many thanks in anticipation...

Shona
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    Options
    I'd keep everything as un cut as possible, that way it stays neatest.

& instead of quadrant, try a line of silicone mastic along the join, instead.

Use masking tape along the bottom of the tiles & the edge of worktop, to get a really neat finish, then run your finger along the mastic line, so it is smoothed down nicely.

VB
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fit the worktop 1st, then tile upwards from the worktop, that way your tile cut is under the wall units.
  • weekendwarrior
    Options
    Tile up from the worktop, but use spacers between the worksurface and first line of tiles, like this- http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/tiling/kitchen_splash_back.htm

you can then replace the worktops without damaging the tiles in the future.
  • shona_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    So would you tile vertically up th side wall right up to the height of the wall cabinet, then in at right angles to the wall cabinet?
    thanks
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't go higher than you need under the cabinets - saves a lot of cutting & measuring & trying to make it perfectly straight.

We went one sheet high (30cm) with the mosaics last time, then finished with a pencil strip top.

The new house will also be mosaic, but only 15cm, again topped off the same. Then paint above to the bottom of cupboard.

Then run same on the side wall. It'll all llok much more even that way.

VB
  • shona_2
    Options
    Thanks vansboy.
    I think I would have done that if it wasn't for the fact that the old kitchen had tiles right up that were stuck onto the plasterboard. It made a mess taking them off, so we felt it was easiest just to tile right up to cover that....
    You're right though - I think it's a more modern look to paint above them...

Shona
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family