Correct consultation procedure?

Options
Hi,

I posted a few days ago but now have a further question. We are in the consultation period at work as more than 20 people are at risk of redundancy. Our employer has organised employee rep. election, consulted with rep's, held one to one meetings and posted a list of vacancies that al those affected were invited to apply for, held interviews and made appointments. However, there are seven of us in the IT department, four of whom do exctly the same job. On Thursday six of us were given our termination notices, the seventh was told that his at risk status had been removed and he had been given a support job - which was different to his/our development jobs. He asked why he had been picked and the job hadn't been advertised/intervews held etc. He was simply told "we've made our decision".

Surely this is a clear breach of the procedures that are supposed to be followed in these circumstances? Even if they had already decided who they wanted aren't they supposed to offer the post, interview and then make their decision - based on whatever criteria they choose? This is all procedural I know but I'm sure the procedures have to be followed?

Any views appreciated.

Cheers,

ExIT.

Comments

• Lady007
    Lady007 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Exit - you re quite right in your assumptions.

Yes may be they did know who they wanted for the job but they could have been a bit more savvy about how they went about it. If you or anyone else complains i can't see what effect it will have on the outcome. They would simply backtrack and correct their mistake i.e hold interviews but still appoint the same person.

It is not fair or reasonable behaviour and as I have said in a previous post - rules can be broken - you just need to know how to and when to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure