PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy or rent?

Options
If you were:

single
income £46K
cash £100K
40s
no pension

... would you buy or rent?

Comments

• Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends.
    If you are looking to settle down then buy. If you maybe see yourself moving in a few months or so then rent.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy somewhere outright if at all possible: if you get made redundant or become ill you still have a roof over your head. Leave the money in the bank and the state will expect you to spend it on living expenses.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    What Fire Fox said, buy outright even if the property is not in the exact location as where you work. £46k can rent a decent place and should your employment prove not secure you will then have choices
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Buy somewhere outright if at all possible: if you get made redundant or become ill you still have a roof over your head. Leave the money in the bank and the state will expect you to spend it on living expenses.

Another option is to dump it all into a pension fund. You can put an amount equivalent to a years salary in. And you get the tax relief on it. It is probably a pretty long term idea though and perhaps better suited to someone in their late 50s or early 40s.

If you own a place outright you would not get any housing benefit.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fizzbot wrote: »
    If you were:

single
    income £46K
    cash £100K
    40s
    no pension

... would you buy or rent?
    I'm some of that ... but I have no job.

If I had a job and was where I wanted to be, I'd buy.... just to be settled and be able to think of the area as home and be able to do stuff like learning/courses or hobbies etc, without thinking I might be on the move again.

But I'd be buying because I wanted to settle/make a life, not because I thought I'd miss any fictitious boat, or miss out, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure