Cheque paid in, but wrong amount on recipt

Hi,

I paid a cheque in at Natwest today. The receipt shows a value £10 higher than what the cheque was made out for. Is there any risk the cheque will bounce and I would get fined? Or will the higher amount just be drawn from the bank account of the person who is paying me money?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why would you get fined? Did you write the receipt or was it the teller?
  • The cashier got me to enter my PIN and confirm the amount by pressing enter on the keypad. That's just how Natwest always work when I pay in a cheque at the counter to an account that has a debit card. I wondered if because I had confirmed an incorrect amount they might claim that it was partially my fault. The receipt was then printed by the cashier - it was not hand written.
  • Have you checked the amount paid into your account.
  • Not yet, no. I will check this at some point, probably early next week. I think I'll just wait and see what happens with the cheque.
  • cottager
    cottager Posts: 934 Forumite
    Have you checked the amount paid into your account.
    Not yet, no. I will check this at some point, probably early next week. I think I'll just wait and see what happens with the cheque.

At Natwest, paying in Saturday is treated as Monday, and likely won't appear online till Tuesday. After the overnight processing of Friday's transactions through early hours of Sat, there isn't another till Monday's are processed early hours Tues.
    If you pay a cheque in on a Saturday or after 3.30pm on a working weekday, the payment is not passed to your account until the following working weekday, when the cheque-clearing period will start.
    http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g4/common-questions.ashx#clear_cheque
    ~cottager
  • mclaren32
    mclaren32 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds like the cashier just made a mistake tbh, when the cheque goes for processing the amount will be altered and you will recieve a letter confirming the change.

I wouldnt give it a second thought.
  • Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. I'll just wait and see what happens now.
  • Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. I'll just wait and see what happens now.

Unfortunately, as a voucher was printed off rather than a paying in slip used the cheque will get sent back to the branch because of the mistake. I think you would be better contacting NatWest telephony centre and getting them to look through the work prior to it being sent to the cheque processing centre otherwise you may see a delay of up to a week before it is paid into the account. They do not automatically change printed vouchers from the tellers. Only the pre printed ones would be.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was the cheque drawn on a Natwest account or was it another bank?

The reason I ask is that I paid a cheque for £40 from my mum's Nationwide account into my account at Nationwide. Cashier keyed it as £400 and I didn't notice until the next day. The cheque cleared as £400 and deducted £400 from my mum's account. After a bit of arguing with the lady in the branch, she agreed to waive the fee to get a copy of the cheque. She agreed that it was for £40 and refunded the £360 back from my account and also refunded the bank charges for going overdrawn.
  • We are talking £10 here - not worth anybody's time IMO.
    To OP if you get an extra tenner good for you - if not the credit will be altered down by that amount - not worth losing any sleep in any way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure