PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Joint bank accounts required????

Options
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on getting a joint mortgage?
Later this year I am hoping to buy a property with my partner, and possibly my mother.
This would require a joint or threeway mortgage and I have no idea what, if any, differences there would be between this and the single mortgage I currently have.
One of my questions would be about how it would be paid for. For instance would we all have to get a joint account and pay the mortgage from this or could the funds come out of one account holder's account?
The property I have now was the first one I have ever bought, so I am still relatively new to house buying and selling. Therefore I would be grateful if anyone who has ever had experience with a joint, or especially a three-way mortgage could give me some advice, or just advise me or the pitfalls of this arrangement.

Regards

Bungle

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,072 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never had a joint bank account with OH, even though we have bought properties and other joint finances. If you all trust each other you can have the mortgage come out of one persons account and the others make a standing order into that account from their accounts.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is entirely up to you. The lender will not care where the money comes from, as long as it comes each month. It does not matter which of you pays, or from what account. The only problem will arise if the monthly payments are not made.
  • bunglesabout
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know any major legal problems that can arise from a three-way mortgage?
    I'm not expecting any issues, but would like to be prepared for a worse case scenario.

Thanks

Bungle
  • roger196
    roger196 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Each of you are liable for the full amount of the debt if the others do not pay. You will be financially linked on your credit files if one of you defaults.
    What happens to the sale proceeds when the property is finally sold ie what shares. Assuming your mum is not living there, her profit would be liable to capital gains tax. When your mum dies what will happen to her share. Has she made a will and who are the beneficiaries. What is IHT position. Who is putting up the deposit and how much. Any potential care home fees issues.
    Does mortgage protection policy pay off all of mortgage if either you or partner die. Is partner solvent. What happens to property if you break up. Have you both made wills.
  • bunglesabout
    Options
    Hi Rodger
    none of us have made a will yet, but we will intend to, after I have sought financial advice about the mortgage. In this instance I just wanted some idea of the kind of questions I can ask the advisor.
    My mother will be laying down the deposit which will be roughly £80,000 and I and my partner will be adding £20,000 to this and will get a mortgage of approx 140,000, which (hopefully) will allow us to buy a property in the region of £240,000
    At the moment a care home is not an issue for my mother as she is in very good health.
    The combined move is to help her to move from the terraced property she currently lives and also to help us move out of a small flat to a bigger home. My partner and her get along great so that is not a concern.
    It also brings me peace of mind, that my mother is already with me should her health take a turn for the worse in her later years.
    We intend to buy a property that will last us all a long time, so selling on is not something any of us are thinking about at the mo.
    The main focus I have is to provide us all with a better home environment (my mother's neighbours are awful and have made her life a nightmare) and also ensure that I do all I can legally to make everyone comfortable and secure with this buy.
    Especially my mother, as I am always concious of the fact that her deposit will be the lion share of the value of the house.
    Therefore any possible pitfalls or questions I can ask my FA will definitely prepare me for our meeting.

Thanks for the reply by the way.:)

Bungle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family