We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How long can I keep plants in those polystyrene containers?

Options
Basic questions I'm afraid!
I want to buy some primroses to plant out in the garden and they are on sale now in Homebase, don't know how long they will be there so don't want to miss them.

Is it too cold/ early to plant them outside?? I'm up north we are due more frosts.
If I bought them now how long will they live in those polystyrene containers and where should I keep them?
I am widening an existing border so currently the area they would be planted is lawn so I've a bit of prep to do first.

Thanks ;)

Comments

• conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What kind of primroses are they? Are they a cultivated variety (different colours) or the 'wild' kind - primrose yellow?
  • MissNobody
    Options
    They seem to have both, selling in trays of about 9 some some are multi coloured and others just the pale(?) yellow ones, happy to be advised on which are the best??
  • Monkeysee_monkeydo
    Options
    Hi Miss Nobody
    Primroses are fully hardy, however they often bring them on in artificially warm environments which means they get knocked back when we have cold weather or frosty starts. I'd hold off and be patient - difficult I know - we all want this winter to end and see spring again!
    The polystyrene trays are good but dry out quickly in hot weather. They are just for garden center convenience really so buy the time you buy them they are big enough to need more space. I try not to leave them in for long.

Best of luck
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad Monkeysee replied to say they're all hardy. I was only sure about the wild type. It's quite right that they may well be forced, tender and vulnerable to frosts due to their experience of cultivation and garden centre habitation.

I would wait for a warmish spell and harden them off (put outside in a sheltered spot during the day for a few days then one night) before planting out. The problem with the polystyrene trays is that if plants are left to grow in them too long, they get thick with roots and difficult to get out so you end up damaging the plants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure