Selling Gold? Beware!

Just received some gold back from Gold Refiners after declining their offer(s) and find I'm a piece missing. Having photographed and weighed the items before I posted it off I was able to confirm it wasn't my imagination or a 'senior moment'. After a terse conversation with one of their staff it is being looked into but they are saying items can't go missing. This is a gross breach of trust and I wonder how many people just fling their unwanted gold into a bag without making a record for their own peace of mind. I hope it is an oversight rather than a deliberate 'skimming off' but in any case please beware.

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I dont trust those places that ask you to shove things in a bag and send it off because I always wondered how would they know it was your jewellery that they were returning? I took mine into a local jewellery shop and got a far better rate than these places you see advertised on the tv.

I hope you get your piece back.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    There was something on The Oneshow last night about cash for gold companies that advertise on the tv - some take 5 months to return your gold and none of them paid the going rate that you would get if you took your gold to an independent jeweller on the high street. The only way that Dom Littlewood from The Oneshow was able to get more money out of them was by questioning the price (he had used 8 equal weight packages of gold sent to 7 different companies - 1 package was taken to a jewellers).

Be careful the deal you may get from the company advertising on tv may not be the best deal.
  • Im just giving my 2 cents here,.... but has no one else had the thought that putting all your gold into a bag, with the address/postcode (or maybe even the name of the company,... im not sure ive never sent things off to them) through ROYAL MAIL.... is a good idea? seriously?!! The same royal mail that open insurance documents (as stated by another poster) and kiddies birthday cards in search of money?.....REALLY?!!!!
    I would never ever ever do this.... i really hope you get it back though, good thinking for photographing it.

Offer proof or retract this slur.

Lawyers are watching.
  • well im just going by personal experiance & what other posters have said....ovbously it is not common place, im just saying i wouldnt let gold out of my sight into public hands.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Offer proof or retract this slur.

Lawyers are watching.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1186045_postman_caught_with_27_mobile_phones

Try googling "post man + + gold + theft"

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=post+man+%2B+gold+%2B+theft&meta=cr%3DcountryUK|countryGB&aq=&oq=post+man+%2B+gold+%2B+theft&fp=472eb943fb1a00a2

Just like any walk of life there are good and bad postmen, fortunately the vast majority are honest
  • Hi all, you may be interested in reading the Which? expose of four of the best-known cash for gold firms. Its now online on their website.
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    I don't understand why those cash for gold ads don't ring the same alarm bells that the ads for the likes of ocean finance and lombard direct do.

No implying any kind of dishonesty, mind, just that there may be better people to deal with.

I think the best advice is- take it to the High St.

I was left with an engagement ring after my ex fianc!e ran off with a climbing instructor (I think from all accounts he's the one who regrets this!) My now wife was certainly not going to wear it, so I took it round all the jewellers.

Gold has increased in value since then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport