PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Right to buy - overpriced house ?

Options
Hi,

I friend of mine has applied for the "right to buy" his council property.

They sent a local estate agent out before Christmas to value the property.

He received the valuation a few days ago. However, the estate agent has valued the house at a VERY high price compared to other ex council houses that are for sale on the same street ! The price they have stated is £10k - £12K higher than any other houses on the road.

I wouldnt even say the house is in a tidy state. The council have provided "basic" maintanance in the past 30 years, so it needs £10K spending on the house.

He has discussed this with the council, but they say that is the price they have to work off.

I did read on a previous post, that he is entitled to request a second valuation ?

I did suggest he pays a independant 3rd party to give an evaluation.

Does anybody know if the council will accept this ?

Thanks

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    He should go back to the council and ask them to tell him the process for challenging a valuation. In writing. There will be a process, but if you ask that question over the phone, you are inviting a fobbing off.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should be looking at land registry sold prices as well as for sale prices.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    The procedure should have already been explained by the council.

If he is unhappy with the price offered he can ask for a second valauation to be carried out by the District Valuer (who is independent). However, the decision of the DV is binding on both parties. So even if the price is higher than the original valuation he must stick to it.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Isn't he pleased his place is worth more than he thought?? Presumably the discount will be more £££ than he expected?? Lucky man..

Cheers!

Lodger
  • blckbrd
    blckbrd Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Your friend would be wasting money employing an independent valuer.

Following receipt of the s125 Landlord's Offer Notice, your friend has 12 weeks in which to request a determination by the District Valuer. Whatever valuation is made at this stage will be final and could be higher than the original.

Right to Buy info here: http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/138178.pdf - valuation info from bottom of page 30.
    Opinion, advice and information are different things. Don't be surprised if you receive all 3 in response. :D
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    ""Isn't he pleased his place is worth more than he thought?? Presumably the discount will be more £££ than he expected?? Lucky man""

indeed......
  • VIGILANT22
    VIGILANT22 Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Options
    j69ant

I would be very surprised if the council instructed "a local estate agent"...it will have been a qualified surveyor (RICS)

If your friend agreed to go ahead with the purchase, the lender he applied to would instruct an independent valuation...they will also be RICS qualified....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure