PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Salary Multiplier

Options
Hi

I am wondering if any one knows who is offering the highest Salary Multiplier at the moment?

Woolwich advertise 5 times salary on their website but when I phoned I was told it was for Barclays account holders only - 4 times otherwise.

I bank with the Nationwide and they have said 4.1 times salary.

I am trying to get to as near as 5 times salary as I can.

I will have approx. 30% deposit.

Comments

• DaddyBear
    DaddyBear Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    TelBoy wrote: »
    Hi

I am trying to get to as near as 5 times salary as I can.

Wow. That makes my eyes water. Hopefully, for your own sake, you wont find one.
  • TelBoy
    TelBoy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I have done all the sums and have approx 40% deposit so I cannot really see the problem.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    5x salary if you're earning a lot isn't always horrendous. If you're low paid it is.

If you earn £15k, you take home £1,022/month. 5x = £75k mortgage, which at 5% interest on a repayment mortgage would mean £443/month, leaving £579 to live on.

If you earn £30k, you take home £1885/month. 5x=£150k mortgage, which at 5% interest on a repayment mortgage would mean £886/month, leaving £1000 to live on.

If you earn £60k, the figures are: £3476 takehome, mortgage £300k, £1774/month, leaving you over £1700/month to live on.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nobody ever can until they get made redundant, get signed off with a long term illness or injury, their partner becomes unexpectedly pregnant with twins, relationship breaks down, the property market falls, interest rates rise to 10% or 15% ....
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • alfredo123
    Options
    How do you multiply your income?
  • DaddyBear
    DaddyBear Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    5x salary if you're earning a lot isn't always horrendous. If you're low paid it is.

If you earn £15k, you take home £1,022/month. 5x = £75k mortgage, which at 5% interest on a repayment mortgage would mean £443/month, leaving £579 to live on.

If you earn £30k, you take home £1885/month. 5x=£150k mortgage, which at 5% interest on a repayment mortgage would mean £886/month, leaving £1000 to live on.

If you earn £60k, the figures are: £3476 takehome, mortgage £300k, £1774/month, leaving you over £1700/month to live on.

Just doesn't leave any breathing room for the unexpected.
  • sebtomato
    sebtomato Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Having mortgage repayments to reach 50% of your take home income may not be wise, particularly at 5% interest only, and even if you earn £60K. Personally, I wouldn't exceed a third.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure