DFS say finance company can't read my paperwork should I be suspicious

Options
I have ordered a sofa from DFS which is due to be delivered in the next week or so. Now I could take money out of my savings to pay for it, but was loathed to take money from a high interest account when I could pay for it interest free monthly.

Have just had a phone call from DFS asking me to return to the store as they have sent the paperwork to santander and they can't read it. Now this all sounds suspicious to me and I'm wondering if they are going to try to sell me something else or what just seems a bit strange (I didn't take out the PPI or any of the extras). I am very very tempted to just take the money from the savings account and pay up front as I am worried that this is some kind of scam or some way of getting me to sign up for things I don't want.

Now I know that DFS have a bad press but I have been looking for a sofa for ages and it was the only one I liked.

Anyone got any ideas or advice for me when I go back this evening.
2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Just go in and do it all over again and mark any paper work you sign as 'duplicate - original deemed illegible'.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fluffymuffy
    fluffymuffy Posts: 3,329 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you take someone with you?
    I am the Cat who walks by itself and all places are alike to me.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    write across the top, "warranty insurance/PPI not required" and initial it.
    Get some gorm.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,601 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You should have a copy of the original finance paperwork and order.

Simply take this with you and ensure the new version matches what you have on your original version.

Don't take any flannel if they start confusing you.

Don't even consider paying in cash if they start trying to stitch you up, take your money elsewhere.
  • dieselhead
    Options
    I think I am going to pay cash otherwise apparently it will delay the delivery for another 7 days and I don't have a sofa at the moment, I just don't trust them. I have called them again though and they are going to speak to head office and see if they can waive the delivery charge.

Thank you for all your advice
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure