🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I didn't KNOW I had PPI

Options
Hi Everyone,
I signed up with EGG for a credit card (0%) in 2008 and I've just started to pay interest on the loan.
I took the card out and thought that I had cancelled the PPI on it and so when I looked at my online statement- which is actually really difficult to read- I was surprised to see that I had indeed been paying PPI for over 18 months. Over £600!
You might think that I'm a bit dumb for not checking more thoroughly and you'd be right, but it's only on certain days of the month that the PPI charge is visible above the fold and on the first page and I did think that I had cancelled it.
Anyway, foolishness aside, I was made redundant in March last year. Of course I didn't claim on the PPI because I didn't know that I had it.
Does anyone know if there would be an issue with me back claiming the insurance? I have now been back in partial (self) employment for three months but was claiming Jobseekers allowance between March and September/October. I've heard really bad things about the PPI companies and I don't want to put my foot in it by saying the wrong thing.
Forewarned is Forearmed
Thanks for reading and your time,
Phil

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Pipstone wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I signed up with EGG for a credit card (0%) in 2008 and I've just started to pay interest on the loan.
    I took the card out and thought that I had cancelled the PPI on it and so when I looked at my online statement- which is actually really difficult to read- I was surprised to see that I had indeed been paying PPI for over 18 months. Over £600!
    You might think that I'm a bit dumb for not checking more thoroughly and you'd be right, but it's only on certain days of the month that the PPI charge is visible above the fold and on the first page and I did think that I had cancelled it.
    Anyway, foolishness aside, I was made redundant in March last year. Of course I didn't claim on the PPI because I didn't know that I had it.
    Does anyone know if there would be an issue with me back claiming the insurance? I have now been back in partial (self) employment for three months but was claiming Jobseekers allowance between March and September/October. I've heard really bad things about the PPI companies and I don't want to put my foot in it by saying the wrong thing.
    Forewarned is Forearmed
    Thanks for reading and your time,
    Phil

Hi and welcome

With your reasons you can actually write to request they cancel (if you do not require this) and to request all you have paid in PPI, interest and 8% interest of what a court would award for being deprived of your money.

More info with templates on link here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
    They have 8 weeks in full to respond.

However, every policy can vary and may still protect for self employment, these details should be shown on your policy.

Check the above link and please yell for any help, and please keep us posted, good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family