PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Tree and nits!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• hennagirl
    Options
    Okay, heres my experience so far since DD started school and first starting this thread. First used a product called BIZ NIZ from the health food shop - v expensive - basically leave in conditioner with essential oils of tea tree, lavender, eucalyptus amongst others. No nits but it was just too expensive to use everyday on both DD and DS. Then as some people have suggested, used the coconut leave in conditioner with added drops (15 each) of tea tree, eucalyptus, Rose Geranium and lavender. This worked too even with a few outbreaks and plus smells lovely - kids forever being smelt by other kids!! I ran out of this and just used a so called nit preventing spray and hey presto they got them!! I then proceeded with a big bottle of kirkland (costco) conditioner and the NITTY GRITTY comb (trust me this works as it even got out the hard to get at casings). Once nit free again, since I had so much of the costco conditioner left and it says that you can use it as a leave in, have been using that with 12-15 drops of the above mentioned oils every day with touch wood no repeat episodes. (Will probably post this and find they get them next week!!! :eek: :eek: )
  • dND
    dND Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When my daughter was at primary school there were recurrent outbreaks of nits in the class and having long blond hair she always got them. I didn't want to use the special shampoos which I'd used and had failed with my sons a few years previously so got one of the zapper combs. I found that this worked really well if used every 3 days or so (although I used it daily for a week or so if she had picked up any). We also got into the habit of combing rather than brushing her hair as I'd read that combing damages the nits so they can't lay eggs.

We also did everyone else in the family whenever she was found to have any nits. It's a sad fact that nits like nice clean hair and that preventing them getting on your child's hair can be really difficult. We unfortunately had a couple of children at the school who's parents did nothing about their nit infestation. :mad:

I also worked at a playgroup and found that colouring my hair did a wonderful job of keeping the nits away from me but it was great to be able to run the zapper comb through my hair if I felt any itch just to be sure.
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i use the nitty gritty comb works really well,but i only ever use conditioner on my girls hair and it works
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • HopeElizzy
    Options
    I'm not sure whether it actually works or is just conincidence BUT my dd started school in Sept 06 and has brought home numerous letters saying that a child in her class has nits so we have been using Original Source mint and tea-tree conditioner as a preventative. Dd has never had nits.........
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • SmileyHappyBeing
    Options
    My dd caught them as soon as she started primary school this sept, and we are only just now beating the little blighters!

We have tried lotions, crap*y nit combs, repellent spray, conditioner etc etc, ordered a nitty gritty comb last week and finally i think we are nit free, and soon to be egg free i hope, (touch wood)!

My daughter is mixed race and it has been a nightmare as her hair is so thick and curly... I am going to keep de-nitting with nitty gritty every 3 days with the tea tree conditioner i bought and fingers crossed they stay away!
    :j Baby due 8th march:j
    :cool: Little girl born on the 8th of march :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family