PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Tree and nits!!!

Options

Comments

• tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Adding lavender and rosemary as well as the tea tree oil is supposed to help too.
  • Mrs_Arkwright
    Options
    My daughters had them for ages, couldn't get rid, I started using Tea Tree Shampoo, then a jolly good comb through, which wasn't working either, until I started every morning giving their hair a spray with normal hair spray, the little blighters don't like that, and they haven't come back.
    My sig's too large, apparently - so apologies to whoever's space I was taking up.:lipsrseal
  • hyacinth35
    Options
    Hi..... does anyone out there know if tea tree oil can be used on coloured/ highlighted hair? Someone told me it cant and would hate to get nits from from the small people and use the wrong stuff!!!! If it cant be used have you any ideas please?:T

HAPPINESS IS NOT A DESTINATION BUT A WAY OF LIFE!!:D
  • tosca5
    tosca5 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    I once stripped out most of my colour using tea-tree, stay clear.
    If you want rid of nits then the best is to cover your hair in 'olive oil' this clogs the nit's airways, killing them off quicker. Easier to Bone comb as it's harder for them to cling on.
  • hyacinth35
    Options
    Ooh what a mare that must have been.:eek: .... Shall keep a bottle of olive oil handy just incase. Little blighters pop up when you least expect it, yukky horrid things!. Thanks
  • miss_corerupted
    Options
    my poor stepson has had them almost a year!!! i put stuff on him to kill them (don't really like doing this) brushing his hair with nit combs but they are cr*p, his cousins have them and they don't seem bothered to be getting rid of them so i'm fighting a losing battle.

I keep catching them and a have really long hair, so it's expensive might try 1 of thos nittygritty combs and some tea tree oil spray
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
  • hyacinth35
    Options
    There was an outbreak at my sons school and i sent him in with a baseball cap on accompanied with a note explaining why as i thought it would be helpful both ways i.e if he had them and me not wanting him to catch them and guess what?:mad: They made him take it off!!!! Maybe i should have said it was for religious purposes and they might have let him wear it. Makes no sense to me.

Happiness is not a destination, but a way of life
  • devonsdreamer
    Options
    My daughter always use to come home with nits and the way I have found to crack it is: when she had live ones and eggs I covered her hair in olive oil with a couple of drops of tea tree in and she slept in that over night. She has "hair spray" that is water with tea tree, citronella and lavendar oils in (10 drops of each) we comb her hair every day after scholl with a Zapper comb but she has been nit free for a few month now after YEARS of it!
    Don't get strung out by the way I look,
    Don't judge a book by it's cover
  • miss_corerupted
    Options
    i'm a bit worried about the zapper comb, as my dad is epiletic and it used to trigger his fits!!! makes me worry now. i'm going for the combing and tea tree oil/lavendar spray natural way i think
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Apparently you either have nit friendly pheromones or you don't - which explains why some people keep getting them. A friend of mine recommended coconut conditioner - they don't like the smell apparently - which has worked as a deterrent for us.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport