PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Consent to Let

Options
This is one for MissMoneyPenny (apologies if this is the wrong spelling) and Firefox

Today, for the first time ever, I have been asked by a set of prospective Ts to provide them with evidence that I have "consent to let" the property.

I thought you would be interested to know since you I seem to recall that you have both posted stongly on this subject that this message seem to be sinking through to Ts. I guess this is becuase of the media coverage etc.

Not sure yet how I will reply yet.....

Comments

• Cannon_Fodder
    Options
    Honestly, hopefully...?!
    ;)
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly, hopefully...?!
    ;)

Of course. :D I will offer to write them a letter. I wonder if it will be enough?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear am I getting a(nother) reputation ... ? :o To me that might suggest these are tenants that might wish to remain so long term, and have a healthy respect for the law! May I ask why you don't know how you will reply?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • N79
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Oh dear am I getting a(nother) reputation ... ? :o To me that might suggest these are tenants that might wish to remain so long term, and have a healthy respect for the law! May I ask why you don't know how you will reply?

I have no problem with the question and I agree that it implies engaged Ts.

Without going into too many details but basically there there is no mortgage on the properties (but there is a charge) so no need for a consent to let.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,222 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    N79 wrote: »
    I have no problem with the question and I agree that it implies engaged Ts.

Without going into too many details but basically there there is no mortgage on the properties (but there is a charge) so no need for a consent to let.

I'm curious on this one. Clearly no mortgage means no consent to let needed. The charge means that on sale the charge holder gets paid out, again no concern for your tenants, but if the charge related to a business and if the business defaulted on payments, could the charge holder go to court to force the sale of the property or repossess? If so that would impact on your tenants, (especially as the charge was in place before the tenancy) so your tenants would want to know that the business is not in difficulty.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • N79
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I'm curious on this one. Clearly no mortgage means no consent to let needed. The charge means that on sale the charge holder gets paid out, again no concern for your tenants, but if the charge related to a business and if the business defaulted on payments, could the charge holder go to court to force the sale of the property or repossess? If so that would impact on your tenants, (especially as the charge was in place before the tenancy) so your tenants would want to know that the business is not in difficulty.

True, except that I own 100% of the shares in both the company which owns the property and the company that holds the charge. Like I said a complex situation where explaining to the Ts why there is no need for a "consent to let" is not straight forward.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just write them a letter
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    N79 wrote: »
    True, except that I own 100% of the shares in both the company which owns the property and the company that holds the charge. Like I said a complex situation where explaining to the Ts why there is no need for a "consent to let" is not straight forward.

So the Company should be letting the property not you personally.

A letter stating that there is no mortgage on the property should normally suffice.

Though what's the purpose of the charge? Presumably to secure a debt. So a little more than you've said so far.
  • N79
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    So the Company should be letting the property not you personally.

A letter stating that there is no mortgage on the property should normally suffice.

Though what's the purpose of the charge? Presumably to secure a debt. So a little more than you've said so far.

Of course the company is the LL.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,222 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As the owner of the company that owns the charge on the property, you can give a letter of consent to the company that owns the property to consent to let. Though this may confuse more than reassure the tenants.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport