Expenses for Private Tutor

Options
Good Morning everyone

As a private tutor I know that I could claim for millege, paper, ink, books, printer( moblie phone?) but as i work at home during the day lanning can I claim for broadband, heating and electricity I read some where that you can claim a proportion of you gas/electricity bill-is that true? Additionally, is there any thing else that I could claim for?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    First of all, you cannot claim for anything. All your expenses have to be included in your accounts and these will reduce the tax due. Failure to include all your expenses would indicate weak record keeping and provide a field day for an Inspector.
    You need to include a proportion of your household running costs - if you use one room solely for bueinss then thats the proportion you include. If you only use it half the time, you include half of that proportion.
    Phone and internet, you have to use your best estimate and be preapred to justify it is challenged.
    Don't forget to claim capital allowances on furniture and equipment in your self assessment.
    You also need to think about stationery, postage, books, etc. If you keep records of everything you spend in the sourse of the business you shouldnt go wrong.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • janey17
    janey17 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the advice- it was most helpful.

Take Care and have a good day

Janey
  • Search_2
    Search_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Janey,

Hope you don't mind me asking, how do you find working as a private tutor? I am thinking of doing this at the moment, but I'm not a qualified teacher and haven't been sure how much work might be available because of this. Do you get a steady stream of work do you find? Thanks very much.
  • amy_lou_4
    Options
    Search, if you go to the Up Your Income section of the forums, you will find a general thread on "Becoming a private tutor" full of helpful advice and seasoned tutors!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure