Registering as a Business

Options
Husband and his friend have decided to start up together in business part time. However, they have been selling since May a few bits and have just been on the Inland Revanue website and it says they have to register within 3 months of starting :eek:
What are the penalties for not registering with them yet? Surely if a record has been kept of everything and they are going to pay the tax etc they will be ok?

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    The rules have changed but the HMRC havent gotten around to changing their website yet, it is no longer 3 months. It is possible that the HMRC can fine them especially if they think they have been trading for a long period - as you claim they have been trading since May then the HMRC may wonder if they have been trading longer and thus avoiding paying tax and NI.

They had better register now - the HMRC self employment line are fairly friendly although how friendly they will be with someone who has been trading since May and not registering with them then I don't know.
  • smartpicture
    Options
    I know someone who didn't register for around 18 months, earning considerable money. They eventually came clean and just had to pay the tax plus a 10% fine - it would have been a lot higher if they hadn't co-operated fully though.
  • katelina
    katelina Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because his friend already has to fill in yearly tax returns, do you think it would be better for him to put the sales this year through his accounts (Although husbands name is on some invoices) and then both of them start up the business in the new tax year?
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    What you are suggesting is tax evasion.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • katelina
    Options
    Surely its not if its going to go through his books and therefore tax will be paid.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    But its going through the wrong books!
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • katelina
    Options
    You can see I'm green to this. So even though its his friend who's going to be the partner that has to do a tax return every year anyway,he cant put them through his own books.....but why?
    Sorry if I'm sounding simple but never had to think about or do anything like this before. :)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I think paying an accountant to do the basic work may benefit the partners here to avoid any fines or penalties from a genuine misunderstanting of the rules. Start of with an accountant to sort out the basics, and then once they have their registration and first year sorted they might be able to take it over themselves next year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • owner
    owner Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    katelina wrote: »
    You can see I'm green to this. So even though its his friend who's going to be the partner that has to do a tax return every year anyway,he cant put them through his own books.....but why?
    Sorry if I'm sounding simple but never had to think about or do anything like this before. :)

Because they will both have different allowances and circumstances so the tax to be paid will be different if it goes through one person rather than both. It may very well be less if done through both so not a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure