Help...question about stock for tax return

Options
hello I started a business selling book online...I am filling the tax return form now...I know I have to calculate my stock....

When I started my business I had many books at home, they were mine, some quite old so I do not know the cost of them as I bought them long time ago and many I received them as gifts. I do not have the receipt for them, however I sold some of these books in my online business last year.

Now I have to fill in the tax return and I have to calculate the value of my stock carried forward, I still have some books I have bought last year but I still have the old ones I did not buy specifically for the business as they were my property....do I have to calculate the value of these books that were my property for the tax return and consider them as stock or not?!? Can I use my own property for my business?

thank you very much for any help you can give me! liz

Comments

• TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Technically these personal items are not part of your trading and you shouldn't include the revenue or as a part of stock.
  • jezabel
    jezabel Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    TM1976 wrote: »
    Technically these personal items are not part of your trading and you shouldn't include the revenue or as a part of stock.

thank you for your reply again...however I did used my old books as when I started the business I had little money and my business adviser told me I could include my old books in my new business and after that buy new stock with the profits...as I have already sold these old books I hope it is ok as I cannot rectify this...some books I received as gift from friends for my business so I did not pay any money for them and I sold them in my new business...I hope it is ok...thanks liz
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    It's not illegal or anything but this will increase your taxable profit and result in you paying more tax that you needed to as you are showing a profit within you business for selling books that were yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure