Help...need to calculate my stock for tax return!

Options
HELLO, I SELF EMPLOYED: I AM SELLING BOOKS ONLINE, I STARTED THIS BUSINESS MORE THAN 1 YEAR AGO AND NOW I HAVE TO FILL IN MY TAX RETURN FOR THE YEAR 2008/2009.

I HAVE SOME STOCK (OLD BOOKS) I BOUGHT LAST YEAR, THE ACTUAL VALUE IS £500, I AM NOT AN EXPERT AND I AM WONDERING HOW TO CALCULATE STOCK FOR MY BUSINESS.

SOMEONE TOLD ME IN A PREVIOUS THREAD THE FOLLOWING: You cannot include the cost of stock not sold. You need to make a calculation:
value of stock brought forward plus stock purchsed less stock on hand and this gives you the cost of sales which go into your accounts.

I HAVE STOCK BROUGHT FORWARD FROM LAST YEAR STOCK (£500), I BOUGHT SOME STOCK THIS YEAR THE ACTUAL VALUE IS £1100.

MY ACTUAL STOCK IN HAND IS £475 (BOOKS I HAVE ACTUALLY HOME, SO THERE IS A LOSS OF £25 FROM THE BROUGHT FORWARD STOCK)...SO THE COST OF SALES IS £1125.

MY BUSINESS PROFITS ARE £2200 - £1125 = £1075 THIS IS THE GROSS PROFIT. I HAVE OTHER COSTS OF £90O IN MY BUSINESS (INTERNET, OTHER COSTS)

SO THE £1075 - £900 = NET PROFIT SHOULD BE £175…

I HOPE I AM CORRECT…THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP…LOZ

Comments

• TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    You should include stock at cost.

Profit effect of stock movement is = cost of stock b/fwd - cost of stock c/fwd
  • jezabel
    jezabel Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    tm1976 wrote: »
    you should include stock at cost.

Profit effect of stock movement is = cost of stock b/fwd - cost of stock c/fwd

sorry again...what is stock as cost...i think is the actual cost i have paid for the stock...am i right?

So my calculation is not correct?
  • jezabel
    Options
    the cost of stock carried forward is the stock I have left home, the stock I need to use as opening stock for the next tax year...correct?

Where I have to put the actual cost of stock carried forward in the tax return form? Is it considered a profit?

thank you liz
  • TM1976
    Options
    OK, cost of sales is:

Stock b/fwd £500
    Add stock purchased in the year £1125
    Less stock c/fwd (£475)
    Cost of sales = £1150

By stock at cost I mean you should value your stock at what you paid for it not at what you intend to sell it for.
  • jezabel
    Options
    TM1976 wrote: »
    OK, cost of sales is:

Stock b/fwd £500
    Add stock purchased in the year £1125
    Less stock c/fwd (£475)
    Cost of sales = £1150

By stock at cost I mean you should value your stock at what you paid for it not at what you intend to sell it for.

thank you for replying me, just to double-checked again:

Stock b/fwd £500
    Add the new stock purchased in this year year is £1100
    Less stock c/fwd (£475)
    Cost of sales = £1125

ok, thank you...the form I have to fill in for the INland revenue is very short as I have really a small business, do you know if there is a specific box where I have to put the value of the stock c/fwd of £475 in the form...thank you again liz
  • TM1976
    Options
    I don't know the form but if you are just entering trading accounts (ie no balance sheet) just enter the cost of sales figure and keep the rest as you workings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure