The ESA medical for people with anxiety and depression

Options

Comments

• geordon
    Options
    Hi.
    I have just recieved my failure notice after the medical (ha ha ) examination I had last week.I have deep depression, C.O.P.D , a crumbling 4th and 5th vertibra, Ive recently had a caterac removed and waiting to get the next one done. Im also waiting for a new knee.Ive worked for 49 years and 7 months, never been on the sick befor and the healthy young box ticker says Im healthy now, so someone give me a job.
    Im fortunetly can claim my pension, so it will be more expensive for the goverment, but it is not the big picture that the small minded jobsworths look at, its thier bonuses.:cool::cool:
    Dont call me cynical, but its not going to get better. Just keep on appealing, and you might find someone that knows how to wok the system. Good luck.
    Geordon
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    geordon wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have just recieved my failure notice after the medical (ha ha ) examination I had last week.I have deep depression, C.O.P.D , a crumbling 4th and 5th vertibra, Ive recently had a caterac removed and waiting to get the next one done. Im also waiting for a new knee.Ive worked for 49 years and 7 months, never been on the sick befor and the healthy young box ticker says Im healthy now, so someone give me a job.
    Im fortunetly can claim my pension, so it will be more expensive for the goverment, but it is not the big picture that the small minded jobsworths look at, its thier bonuses.:cool::cool:
    Dont call me cynical, but its not going to get better. Just keep on appealing, and you might find someone that knows how to wok the system. Good luck.
    Geordon

Nobody is paid any bonuses, it is a myth, though I would not be surprised if the paranoids disagree with me.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    geordon wrote: »
    Hi.
    Geordon

Having read that I am well and truly depressed. We're all doomed! :eek:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Doomed, I say, doomed, we're all doomed!
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I now have a good news story...

Had my medical on Monday 1st March (doc was lovely actually, all questions were relevent as far as I remember too), today got a letter saying I've been put in the support group, dated 2nd March.

Obviously some people do pass it then.
  • ninjastriker
    Options
    I just got a letter today to say they sent my appeal to the tribunal, how long does it take to hear from the tribunal?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I just got a letter today to say they sent my appeal to the tribunal, how long does it take to hear from the tribunal?

A tribunal usually takes between 3 and 6 months.
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    littlerat wrote: »
    I now have a good news story...

Had my medical on Monday 1st March (doc was lovely actually, all questions were relevent as far as I remember too), today got a letter saying I've been put in the support group, dated 2nd March.

Obviously some people do pass it then.

Well done you :T
    I suffer from anxiety / depression / agoraphobia and panic attacks, and was allocated in to the support group, after my medical back in January.
    No more dallying around with medical certificates, and the worry of getting paid on time.
    Since joining the 'support group' (which is a funny name to give as i haven't heard a peep from them after getting my allocation letter), I now feel I can concentrate 100% on my Congenative Behavioural Therapy and trying to get better.
  • StacyJ
    StacyJ Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am also very anxious and worried about failing this.
    My assessment is today and I have been reading up on what to expect and I am convinced no matter what I say I will be passed as fit.
    I have had depression for over a year due to a very traumatic experience which has left me with no confidence or self esteem, I'm always crying and I can't go out on my own because of anxiety attacks. I also have poor concentration and I feel that I would be a danger to myself and others if I was to work.
    I am 26 and I was a student but I had to leave because of being ill, so I also feel that my future is ruined as I could never go back to university.
  • jennilb
    jennilb Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I know the depression makes it hard to see, but it is possible to feel better. Last year I had a breakdown, was dismissed from work for being too sick to go in, had to give up my home and couldn't manage the studying for my professional qualification.

I'm a lot better than I was. I don't feel suicidal at the moment and I am starting to return to my studies and to do short courses to build up my courage at going out in the world on my own. When I have the result of my appeal (one way or the other) I'm going to just live off DLA and volunteer, and hopefully later in the year my boyfriend and I will move in together. If you had told me any of this was possible in Jan 09 I would have laughed in your face and said 'never' and that my life was ruined and I was a waste of oxygen.

So there is hope. You are 26. My Mum just graduated from OU at 54. If you have passed any part of your course, you can ask them to give you proof of those credits and can put them towards an OU course or a course at another uni - there's no expiration date on this. So you might not be able to finish your degree the traditional route. That doesn't mean you can't do it another way.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport