CH or SB: cheap stationery

Options
Dear all, where do you find the best source of stationery? At the moment I'm doing some voluntary work for a charity at home sorting out mountains of books and papers and could really do with a source of cheap large post it notes or similar - don't mind if they have logos or whatever on them. I will also need other stationery such as document storage boxes, labels and so on at some point. Is Viking still the best place? Or are there others? I've looked at library/archive suppliers but they're horrendously expensive and the charity can't afford a lot. I'd rather have new than second had as the stuff is stored in my guest room at home so don't really want dusty musty old boxes - even if I have to pay out myself in the end.

Thanks very much

DS

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Viking and Staples are the two big suppliers - very convenient , next day delivery and quite good prices especially when they have 3 for 2 or similar offers. It is worth trying local office supplies or packaging companies to compare prices - look in Yellow pages and phone around.

Do you really want to use post-it notes? They can be something of a nightmare being scraped off or falling off. I would write on boxes directly and use address labels or similar to reuse the boxes.
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Many thanks, I'd forgotten about Staples, I'll have a look there too. The post-its aren't to go on the boxes but to sort the papers into piles and sections, also for people to use to move around to different piles giving their opinions on the publications etc.

I might try freecycle too, someone else suggested that. Companies often change their logos etc so might have some out of date printed post-its and other stationery they might like to donate.

Thanks for the ideas

DS
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Poundland have a few bits and pieces but check the quality before bulk buying.

Believe it or not I've actually found WHSmith to be cheaper than Viking/Staples on some products! You can sign up online to their members club to get money off vouchers. I would never have thought Smiths would beat Viking, but for small quantities they can when they have a promotion on.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Second all the advice above, however is there a long term storage issue here? Because if so, do you need to consider archiving materials? Acid free paper / boxes etc.

Also, if the charity joins InKindDirect, they sometimes have good offers on this kind of thing!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whisky etc boxes from the off-licence are often very strong and have a wipe-clean gloss printed finish.

Also for A4 papers the boxes 5-packs of A4 copier paper come in, with lids, are neat and stackable. One of the cheap canvas 'wardrobes' from Argos etc will conceal a large pile of 'stuff' in relative domestic harmony.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget eBay. My charity buys and sells an array of odds and ends there.
  • quickstepqueen
    Options
    Do you have a Wilkinsons store nearby, though they do have a website for home delivery. Might be worth a look for price comparison. Also, as above, Ebay. For the place I work I've ordered my sticky labels from there, very happy with the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure