Residential (Wall containing boiler) Water Damage

Options
Guys,

My house is showing significant water damage on the wall on which the boiler is installed. I am not sure if its because of a broken water pipe in the region or because of seepage of rain water from the other side of the brick wall which is exposed to the elements and rain. The plaster on the wall is quite wet though!

I have no experience with this and will be very grateful for any help or advice on this matter! Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anxious (First) Property Owner

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How old is the house? If it is post 1920's, it will have cavity walls and water seepage from the outside is unlikely (but not impossible). You need to focus on sources of water in side the house ie the boiler and associated pipework. How far down the wall does the water go? Does if hit the floor? Is tyhe water stain above the bolier?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • rramaswa
    rramaswa Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Th house was built post 1920s. There are brownish/orangish water stains (patches) on the wall, all around the boiler but no water stains on the floor and the floor is completely dry. The plaster on the wall is quite wet all around the boiler and almost to the floor from the boiler. I keep the main water supply valves in the house closed and aonly open it when needed, to control the leak.

Could it be a broken boiler pipe?
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    rramaswa wrote: »

Could it be a broken boiler pipe?
    Sounds like a slow leak. Have a plumber / boiler fitter take a look
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    How long do you propose to go on mucking about with the water supply before you actually make some attempt to find out the source of the problem. What you are doing is completely illogical.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    wait until the summer and then you can tell if its the mains water supply and not the rain coming in.
    ;)
    Get some gorm.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    wait until the summer and then you can tell if its the mains water supply and not the rain coming in.
    ;)
    You are not suggesting that there is less rain in the summer are you. Anyway, by then the wall will be so wet that the op will have no chance of finding out which it is.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family