🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How can I stop all power to my burglar alarm?

Options
agme28
agme28 Posts: 110 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 January 2010 at 3:35PM in Energy
Hello

My alarm always plays up when there is a power cut, and today even though I entered the code and stopped the main noise, it was still ringing out somewhere although it stopped itself after about an hour.

I never use the alarm and would like to know how to remove all power sources to it. Is there a battery inside the panel box type thing that can be removed? I tried to remove the fuse (perhaps stupidly) and it set the alarm off again. Do I need to switch off electrics at the mains before I start opening it up and removing batteries? Will this stop the power to it or is there something else I need to do (like remove the fuse AND battery?)

Does the alarm on the wall outside have a battery in it too? How do I deal with that?

Thankyou
Abigail

Comments

• BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agme28,

there will be a battery inside the control unit as well as another battery inside the external sounder

You will need to turn the mains of to the control panel, whether at a spur or remove the fuse inside the panel, unplug the leads from the battery inside the panel and also the battery inside the external sounder.

This will shut the system down.

If you need to reinstate the alrm then the reverse is necessary

hold this helps
  • agme28
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for advising me. There is a fuse above the panel, will this be the one that is sometimes inside the panel?

When I tried to remove it before, the alarm went off so I quickly plugged it back in! If I remove it, can I enter the code to stop the alarm and then remove the battery? Will the alarm sound again if I open up the panel to remove said battery?

The noise which carried on before was the bell sounder I'm sure, and it stopped within an hour. Will this mean that battery has run out or not?

thanks!
    clueless
  • BillTrac
    edited 22 January 2010 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Hi,

the reason it goes offis because you have removed the mains and it switches to a battery which may be beyond its service life. This is more likely why you are having these problems. If you wanted to you can pick up this type of battery from Maplins etc.

Also, just ignore the noise and disconnect as said. The panel will probably sound when you open the panel but I wouldn't worry too much as you will be disconnecting and this will silence it inside the house.

It is up to you what you do. It sounds like the fuse above the control panel is the mains one. Is there a mains indicator on the control panel? If this goes out at least you know. Either pull taht one or the one inside the panel, same results

I don't know how high your external sounder is but if it not easy to get up too(or raining really hard)and doesn't bother the neighbours too much then just turn off the mains, disconnect the battery inside the control panel and let the outside battery run down
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When mains power is cut to an alarm, most alarms sound powered by their own internal rechargeable batteries.
    This is a security feature to prevent burgulars simply cutting power to an alarm to stop it.
    Of course, the alarm can't tell the reason for the mains supply being interupted, hence why it sounds when there is an unintentional power cut.

To reduce nuisance caused by alarms sounding non-stop, perhaps for many hours days if not attended to, they are restricted as to how long they sound. Nothing to do with the battery running out.

There may be other reasons why the alarm sounds too, such as switches identifying that the battery cover plate has been opened. (again as a security measure)

But you can be sure that once all power supplies, whether mains or battery, have been removed, the alarm will no longer sound.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • BillTrac
    Options
    Premier,

first, the reason a battery is fitted in the first place is in case of a power failure. No fully serviced system will go into alarm when the power fails. If the panel battery then runs down then the external sounder will activate. Later systems may transmit a power failure to a remote monitoring service if used.

In the case of an actual activation then there is a time limit on the sounder. Used to be 20 minutes. lately 15 mins but also depends on the local Police policy. If the mains and panel battery are no longer part of the eqaution then the external sounder could well run on for hours depending on the battery size/state etc

If the system is unset as seems to be the case then any cover etc will only activate a tamper thus an internal sounder, not the full alarm. If the alarm is set then of course a tamper is seen as an alarm.

Hey, but what do I know? Only been in the industry since 87
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BillTrac wrote: »
    Premier,

first, the reason a battery is fitted in the first place is in case of a power failure. No fully serviced system will go into alarm when the power fails. ...

Are you suggesting the OP needs to have the alarm serviced, as that one obviously does. As do the majorirty of home alarms where I live as many activate when we experience a power cut.

But what do I know? I only experience the power cuts and hear all the alarms suddenly activate ...
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • agme28
    Options
    Thanks Billtrac

That all makes sense. Will perhaps wait under my dad is around to take the battery out of the thing outside, don't want to rile my neighbours!

Out of interest, is the inside alarm much louder than the outside one or does it just seem it when you are indoors?

thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family