Reclaiming ppi my mum didnt know she had !

Options
Hi there,
I have been reading some of the messages on here and have also gone through martins guide but am still unsure if we have a case so thought i would see what you all thought before i do anything here goes ..

My mum took out a loan for a car in 2004 with GE Capital she still has the credit agreement so thats a bonus.

She has just finished paying for the loan and was showing my husband all her statements etc and saying she was so pleased it had finished. My husband noticed an ammount for £1832.72 on the credit agreement for retail financial services gold ? After a bit of research we found out this was ppi !

My mum was really upset when we told her what she had been paying for she didnt even know she had it and felt like a fool because she said she had no idea what she was doing. Dont get me wrong my mum is not elderly she is only in her 50s but i wish she had told us or my brother then we could have looked it over and realised what was happening.
I wouldnt mind but she was off last year with a knee replacement operation and could have maybe claimed something if she had known she had the insurance !

I think the company were really deceiving calling it retail financial services gold instead of stating the ammount was for insurance.
Is there anything we can do if my mum agreed to it over the phone without knowing what she was doing is she at fault ?

Also in 2007 the loan provider changed from GE Capital to GE Money and then to Santeander i am assuming that they took over as my mum has never switched the loan to another company or anything so we dont really know who we should contact ?

Sorry if this sounds a bit sketchy any help you can give would be great thank you

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Personally I think your mum has a good case, and tell her she is not the only one, so not to worry.;)
    Hope your mum have recovered ok from her replacement, being young as well bless her.

Anyway with her reasons, give it a go, they have 8 weeks in full to respond, if they do not uphold in her favour then she can try the financial ombudsman service (FOS).
    If the FOS are unable to investigate, because this depends if the business your mum is complaining on was governed or not when the loan was taken out, the FOS are only able to investigate if they were covered by GISC before the FSA taken over in Jan 2005.

But this is not the end if this cannot be resolved through these, find out who the insurer is and you complain to these instead, the FOS are able to investigate against the insurers/underwriters as these should have been protected and the FOS are also trying to make these responsible as well.

Many of us here have gone this direction but first of all see what happens with GE Capital first and take it from there.

More here with templates and a checklist of mis selling reasons, if there are more reasons to add on the letter from the list that applies to your mum then make sure you write them in as well.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

However, there is already a good reason with what you have posted.
    Post by recorded delivery for your proof of posting.

Good luck with this, hope I have not confused you.......:o, but one step at a time, and please ask for help anytime.

Di
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • lilly82
    lilly82 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply d13004 thanks yes she is doing much better with her knee now.

I have had a look at the letter and it looks great would you just use the reason of not knowing she had the insurance or would you mention that she had been ill too and had not claimed because she didnt realise she had it ?

Thanks for the tip about recorded delivery too i have just been looking at the agreement again and noticed that my mum has not signed it does anyone know if should i make sure she does before i send a copy or just leave it as it is will this invalidate the claim ?

Thanks again you have been very helpful :)
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    lilly82 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply d13004 thanks yes she is doing much better with her knee now.

I have had a look at the letter and it looks great would you just use the reason of not knowing she had the insurance or would you mention that she had been ill too and had not claimed because she didnt realise she had it ?

Thanks for the tip about recorded delivery too i have just been looking at the agreement again and noticed that my mum has not signed it does anyone know if should i make sure she does before i send a copy or just leave it as it is will this invalidate the claim ?

Thanks again you have been very helpful :)

Your very welcome.

Yes I would leave it as it is to be honest.;)
    If she did not sign and they added the PPI without her knowledge this should work in her favour.

Personally what I would do is take a photocopy of the agreement, and enclose the copy not the original - within the reclaiming letter and as well as the reasons you posted, mention that she was paying PPI and did not even sign for this in the first place.
    (I take it this is an issue as well, because if your mum did not sign the agreement, they should not have added the insurance).
    I would also mention that if she was aware then she would have made a claim when she was in hospital for her operation (more or less what you have posted in your post then).;)
    Also write that due to this she is out of pocket.

Hope this helps, good luck. X
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family