🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flueless gas fires

Options
So have done some research online and I am interested in one of the flueless gas fires.

There seems to be a lot of uninformed opinion and misinformation about how dangerous these fires are due to the fact that they are not as popular in the Uk as they are in Japan and USA for instance.

The science behind them seems pretty simple really and as long as you have a room big enough (clearly stated on the Burley website we are looking at), a vent put in and fire properly installed and regulated and then checked annually I can't see why there should be so much negative rep around a 2.5kw gas appliance. Many people will have a 10kw+ gas cooker in their kitchen after all?!

Anyone any personal experience of using or fitting these types of fire and of running costs. They seem to be much more efficient to run and as gas prices continue to rise and rise presumably they may become more popular here?

Not after speculation just experiences please -good and bad

Thanks

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    not personal experience but our friends had one fitted. they ripped it our after a few years and installed a proper balance flue one. detached house, very large lounge/dining room.
    they said it was a poor fire and expensive to run for the heat it gave out.
    Get some gorm.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,608 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    "I can't see why there should be so much negative rep around a 2.5kw gas appliance"

Because 2.5kw is less than a kettle - would you use a 2.5kwh electric fire to heat a lounge?

They are deisgned for their looks, if you want to get warm from one don't bother.
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    They are meant for secondary source of heating so if the central heating has been on during the early evening and goes off, then we can use a fire of some sort in the lounge to keep the lounge warm enough to be comfortable.

As far as your figures, you aren't factoring in efficiency. The flueless fires we look at claim 100% efficiency. Many of the flued variety are down in the 60-70% - need to compare like with like. It may be we need the 3.5kw version but as I say this is really why I could do with some real experiences not more hearsay
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    .........I say this is really why I could do with some real experiences not more hearsay
    You seem to have made up your mind. Anyway you will find some RGIs who rave about them and others (a great deal more on a percentage basis unfortunately) who wouldn't fit one if it were the last job available ever on the planet!.

There has been an interesting discussion recently on another forum here where you'll find the MD of Burley taking part as well. You'll have to work through a little angst in the opening posts but its worth your while to give it a read, methinks, to help you decide.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    Thanks for link - interesting reading

Not made up my mind just after some real experiences - the internet and these forums are full of opinions (understandably) but some are based on nothing more than what a mate has said or they have heard/read elsewhere

As the linked thread suggests may be some training days from companies such as Burley would help more RGI's understand? Seems madness that we are chosing (or being directed to chose) less efficient gas appliances in the current market surely??? this is a money saving site after all !
  • keystone
    Options
    Seems madness that we are chosing (or being directed to chose) less efficient gas appliances in the current market surely??? this is a money saving site after all !
    Money saving doesn't and shouldn't EVER compromise safety. Thats the problem with these devices. Some peeps think (whichever way rightly or wrongly - taking a balanced position) that they are downright bloody dangerous. When that includes a substantial number of people in the trade it must raise a Q or 2. In addition you need to consider ventilation for these. Given the current propensity for the average householder to block up every single possible source of "draughts" in order to conserve energy that could be dangerous.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Money saving doesn't and shouldn't EVER compromise safety. Thats the problem with these devices. Some peeps think (whichever way rightly or wrongly - taking a balanced position) that they are downright bloody dangerous. When that includes a substantial number of people in the trade it must raise a Q or 2. In addition you need to consider ventilation for these. Given the current propensity for the average householder to block up every single possible source of "draughts" in order to conserve energy that could be dangerous.

Cheers

Noone in their right mind would suggest that, and I assume you are not suggesting I was, but again the figures for deaths do not support this assertation in any shape or form weither here or the other countries where these applainces are common place.

This seems to be one of those areas where the manufacturers of flueless appliances will struggle unless one of the big boys takes it up as the "dangerous" tag is so easily thrown around. This is bound to kill such a market where safety uis so obviously important. Especially as you mention when the dismissing of such products by people supposedly who are experts in the gas appliance installing area happens so regualarly (and not supported with facts when asked)

As gas becomes more expensive and our supply lines become either restricted or gradually priced out of the market I would bet these appliances become more popular (as will electric based heating)
  • keystone
    Options
    Noone in their right mind would suggest that, and I assume you are not suggesting I was...........
    No of course I wasn't but as you say this is a money saving site and many posters here think that that is the be all and end all of it. There is an Announcement at the top of the page - "being safe is more important than money saving". Sorry if you took it that way because I didn't mean it that way for one moment.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport