Grants for new boiler

Options

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Update on my previous posts. Agree with blushred - no forms to fill in at all. However....

We were wondering how our application was progressing and yesterday we received a letter from WarmFront inviting us to apply for a 'free benefits check'. I phoned the free number just as a courtesy to assure them that no we can't claim any more benefits, and as usual, the mild disbelief that, at our age, we know what we're talking about, we know what we have coming in/going out, have done the sums more than once and are well aware of what to do when/if the situation changes. We had a nice chat - apparently it's just about unheard-of for someone who's on Attendance Allowance to get better (I told her I was unlikely to be awarded it again when the 2 years expires next year).

I then spoke to someone else about when the actual work is planned to start - look, we haven't had a visit from a heating engineer yet, which the assessor told us would happen, because nothing has been definitely agreed about just what is going to be done! Oh yes, the installer accepted the job 2 weeks ago and I have a list here of parts and requirements for it. How can you have - we haven't agreed just what is to be done, we haven't had an engineer's visit yet! You must have had - I've got this list of parts and requirements....

(Do all these people who're dealing with older people think we're all demented or something???)

I passed the conversation on to DH because the technical side is his thing and not mine. It appears that nothing will happen before our holiday next week, and they've promised to phone us in a couple of weeks and tell us what will happen next. We need to know, because DH goes for further knee surgery 3 weeks after we come back, on 21st September.

I am just a bit concerned that a van will arrive outside at 8 am one morning and guys on the doorstep saying 'right, missis, we've come to start work' before we agree what they're actually going to do!

DH wants to be here - as he says, they've got thermostat valves for several of the radiators on the list of parts, but he doesn't want anyone to start fixing those without draining-down the system and refilling with anti-corrosive. 'Surely if these guys are experts they'll do it correctly, won't they?' 'Don't be so naive - you can't assume anything!' And he doesn't want anyone going up into the loft unless he's here. 'Project management' he calls it.

We're still planning to go ahead with replacing the boiler with a condensing combi type, probably next spring. However, if WarmFront provide and fit the thermostat valves for us, approx £40 each including VAT plus labour, that will save us a useful amount when we come to do the boiler replacement.

We've also been invited to a get-together at Niagara Falls next July, so some dedicated saving will be needed! I've already stopped the £200 a month into my equity ISA and diverted it into cash savings because we really do want to do both - combi boiler and Niagara - it's do-able if we put our minds to it!

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Margaret, I'm glad you are not paying for those valves.
    Both Danfoss and Honeywell (top brands) are well below £20 and some as low as £8 and that's from normal trade outlets.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi cattie

I applied for this last week - phoned the number given after reading about it in the local paper. We're over 60 but not on any means-tested benefits but the criteria include any disability-related benefit, and I'm on Attendance Allowance, which qualifies me. I had a letter on Saturday saying that an assessor would be in touch within 4 - 6 weeks - he actually phoned at 6 pm Sunday and is coming tomorrow mid-morning to assess what we need and what they can offer. Because of my AA we're apparently entitled to £2,700 to upgrade our heating system!!

As our monthly gas bills went from £28 for all of last year, to £35 in May, then to £64 from this month (due to the cost of gas on the wholesale market) we are keen to ensure our system is as up-to-date and as efficient as possible!

The phone no is 0800 316 2808.

Margaret Clare

I have just received my letter from the Warmfront folk telling me that I shall be getting an upgraded boiler for my central heating system in about 4 weeks .They were really helpful and very efficient. Because the upgrade and anncillary work comes to more than the £2.700.00. I have to pay the balance,but a new gas central heating system for £750.00 is a real bargain. I have two allowances from the DLA plus a pension credit allowance so I was well within their criteria. I am extremely pleased about how well things have gone so far, at least I know I shall be warm this winter and hopefully it won't cost as much to run as my old system:j
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which is the correct one to apply to? there are different numbers. Is the eaga partnership the same as warmfront? Theres also another different number for warm front on the government site so its a bit confusing. Is any better than the other?

My boiler is 18 years old and I tried to put the heating on for the first time this winter tonight and it wont go on. The boiler is in the loft (valliant combination) so I can't check it myself. I'm on incapacity benefit I don't know if I'll get it or not but I'm going to try anyway as I dont have the finances for a new boiler

My water is actually working so I don't know exactly whats wrong but after 18 years theres going to be problems, I'm really hoping that they will grant me a new boiler but as the water is working they may not, thats if I am entitled at all

What do you think my chances are and is there anything I should or should not say when I ring?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I realised I put this in the wrong place I'm not quite silver saver yet (47) doesw that make any difference?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_K wrote:
    Oh I realised I put this in the wrong place I'm not quite silver saver yet (47) doesw that make any difference?

What's 13yrs among freinds?
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    C_Ronaldo wrote:
    ill pass them on, thankyou, its not deffinate yet that she will need a new one, well no she will need a new one but as to when that will be we dont know, it depends if the gas engineer can get the part if not then she will need a new boiler

When the Warmfront man came to check he said we did not need a new boiler but when I phoned their office and mentioned that there was a smell coming from the boiler the assistant said that they would not be able to repair it or attend to any problems in the system unless Transco gave the OK. The Transco man arrived same day and condemned the boiler so a new one was provided by Warmfront and fitted by a first rate gas engineer from Iguana. We also got two new radiators, tank and lagging. The only downside I can tell you about is that it has to be a condensing boiler in accordance with the Govnt's policy of greener emissions. And we now have an unsightly wide diameter pipe leading to the grid outside also in accordance with new regulations. But, we are extremely grateful to get all this free and the pipe is not noticeable now since it is painted the same colour as the outside paintwork. We can also have cavity wall insulation now too as we are over a year since installation.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi all

Here's an update on the continuing saga of our WarmFront application.

5 energy-saving light-bulbs arrived recently, the 2 that we were 'entitled to' plus 3 others which we are told are a free gift from ScottishPower. Great - we now have more energy-saving light-bulbs than we're likely to use in our lifetime. (Some can be passed on to my homeless jobless granddaughter if/when she ever gets re-housed!)

I phoned the WarmFront helpline again this morning and actually got more sense than I did the last time. You may recall that on the 18th of last month we were told that a list of parts had been ordered already. That's not the case at all. No parts have been ordered - how could there be, no one has made a detailed examination of exactly what needs doing/repairing/replacing, and importantly, we haven't agreed to anything! The lady I spoke to gave me the name and phone no. of the installer who has accepted the work. They're in Royston, Herts, which is a heck of a long way from where we live - aren't there contractors in the Essex/East London area? Ours not to reason why....

Anyway, we contacted the Royston office. There is a man who knows he has to come here, make a full inspection/assessment and agree what needs to be done with us. The lady we spoke to has access to his diary - she suggested next Wednesday 20th? Well, no. My DH goes into hospital that day for the 3rd attempt to get his knee sorted out, will be in for perhaps a week, so it will be after that.

One interesting thing emerged from my phone call to WarmFront this morning. Although our boiler is 14 years old it wouldn't be replaced under this scheme as long as it is repairable, it MAY be replaced under the scheme because it's a back-boiler and they're no longer legal. So that could be good news, if they agree to do that it will save us £2,700 which will go towards our holiday at Niagara Falls next July! However, we won't know until the man comes around and we discuss and agree it all.

We actually want a condensing combi boiler in the loft. If we can't get that through WarmFront then we will get it done off our own bat. There are people around who will do it, but the idea of saving £2,700 is very tempting! However, it's a matter of what *they* will do as against what *we* will agree to.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Looks like things are getting sorted out slowly but surely, and I'd be really greatful if could you explain this
    it MAY be replaced under the scheme because it's a back-boiler and they're no longer legal.
    as I'm sitting in front of my back boiler right now and haven't heard from anywhere/anyone that it's illegal. Thanks
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi Dora

That was what the lady on the WarmFront helpline told me this morning.

We had the assessor round some weeks ago now, he looked at where the boiler is (you can't actually see it because it's behind the gas-fire in the fireplace) and he put us down for 'heating repair'. I showed him the original paperwork for the boiler - it's an Ideal Standard GlowWorm back boiler unit with gas fire in front. He didn't condemn it on the grounds of being illegal. He did explain that you can't replace a back boiler now with another one because they're not allowed, but he didn't say it was illegal as long as it's still working. The reason they are no longer allowed is because of the 'condensation' aspect of a new boiler - if it was fitted into the fireplace then there is nowhere for the condensation to go.

However, we've already been told a lot of different things by different people, as anyone who has followed this saga will know. So it will be interesting to see what the man from the Royston installer has to suggest.

The bottom line is: we've already decided that we want a condensing combination boiler and that we want it to go against the outside wall in the loft. If an installer from WarmFront can do this for us at a saving of £2,700 we will be happy about it. If they want to do anything else then we will say 'no thank you', we'll contact one of the local installers who've already given us their quote and we'll pay for it ourselves.

Margaret
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport