everything about dogs!!

Options
rjh090384
rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
heya

we jsut got a dog black labrador who is incredibley lovely and gorgeous so we need to know the cehapest and best places for:
dog food
kennel
pet insurance

any adivce welcome!
love you lots like jelly tots :o

Comments

• belfastgal
    belfastgal Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    congratulations on your new addition.
    There is a thread on here somewhere regarding pet insurance if you do a search.there is also a good website for info called https://www.doglistener.co.uk
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look in the Argos catalogue for your various bits and pieces - they aren't too dear compared to dedicated pet shops. They've got a sale on at the moment.

I would strongly recommend you get your new dog micro-chipped. If s/he goes missing you're more likely to be reunited. It costs about £15 and most vets will do it. I think it's essential given the turnover of healthy dogs in the pounds and which end up being put down because their owners can't be traced.

I have heard that Marks & Spencer is good for insurance, not too expensive and actually pays out.

As for food - you get what you pay for, and the cheap stuff is exactly that. There are some good brands out there eg Burns, Hill Science Plan, James Wellbeloved and so on and so forth. If it's for sale in the supermarket it's cr@p (to be blunt) - the good brands will be for sale in proper pet shops or in veterinary surgeries. Ask in any butcher's shop for marrow bones - they should be free or at least very cheap - and keep a supply in the freezer. Your dog will love them, they are fantastic for a dog's teeth and hopefully will give your new dog lots of amusement. They aren't really food, more of a toy with a delicious taste and a few shreds of edible material. Once they've gone past their best push the marrow out for your dog to eat, then get a new one.

Don't give your dog chocolate - it's toxic to them even though they often love the taste of the stuff.

Can't think of anything else, enjoy your new dog.

SnowyOwl
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use M+S pet insurance - very cheap for the level of insurance they offer and are prompt to pay out. When looking for insurance make sure you get a whole of life policy. Places like Tesco although a lot cheaper only cover illnesses for one year - not good if your dog becomes diabetic or gets arthritis.

What snowy owl says about food is good advice - you get what you pay for. Personally i wont touch anything that the supermarkets sell as its cheap ingredients and full of additive and preservatives - both of which can go towards making your dog hyper. A good quality food will be dearer to buy but often is cheaper to feed - you need to look at price per meal. Burns (kibble) is a very good food - ideal for labs as its well known for keeping the weight down - and labs are walking bins :) I feed Arden grange (kibble) which is harder to get hold off but is just as good. If you prefer to feed a wet food then Nature diet is a complete food - no need to add any biscuit.A good quality food means smaller feed amounts and therefore less coming out the other end - makes for much easier poop scoop :)

If you have a hungry dog add veggies to bulk the food allowence out.I use whatever cooked veggies we have left over. Raw veggies are great as treats - carrots are really good for when they teeth - cool and crunchy. Bones are great for dogs, I feed my cocker raw chicken wings, raw meaty lamb bones and the odd marrow bone (marrow bones are hard and his teeth can wear so they are only given as a special treat). NEVER give a dog a cooked bone, they can splinter, get caught in the through or even perforate the stomach.Adding raw bones to the diet helps keep poo firm which in turn keeps the anal glands from filling up and blocking.

For a pup I would just use strong boxes for beds as s/he will chew. Charity shops are a good scource of cheap blankets for bedding and soft toys for chewing. Pound shops sell nappy sacks 300 for a £1 which is a lot lot cheaper then poo bags (and they are scented). They often do dog bowls as well. Best bowls to get are stainless steel ones but I wouldnt go to the expense untill pup has fully grown. Collars and leads, you may as well not pay a lot for these at this age as you will be constantly replacing them as pup grows. My personal preference is for a fabric one over leather as it can be washed and dried quickly - very important when its been covered in fox poo :)

A good book on puppy owning is The Perfect Pup by Gwen Bailey. Takes you through everything from the first few days to teens - dog owners bible :)

Enjoy your pup
  • wayne
    wayne Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    SnowyOwl wrote:
    Have a look in the Argos catalogue for your various bits and pieces - they aren't too dear compared to dedicated pet shops. They've got a sale on at the moment.

I would strongly recommend you get your new dog micro-chipped. If s/he goes missing you're more likely to be reunited. It costs about £15 and most vets will do it. I think it's essential given the turnover of healthy dogs in the pounds and which end up being put down because their owners can't be traced.

I have heard that Marks & Spencer is good for insurance, not too expensive and actually pays out.

As for food - you get what you pay for, and the cheap stuff is exactly that. There are some good brands out there eg Burns, Hill Science Plan, James Wellbeloved and so on and so forth. If it's for sale in the supermarket it's cr@p (to be blunt) - the good brands will be for sale in proper pet shops or in veterinary surgeries. Ask in any butcher's shop for marrow bones - they should be free or at least very cheap - and keep a supply in the freezer. Your dog will love them, they are fantastic for a dog's teeth and hopefully will give your new dog lots of amusement. They aren't really food, more of a toy with a delicious taste and a few shreds of edible material. Once they've gone past their best push the marrow out for your dog to eat, then get a new one.

Don't give your dog chocolate - it's toxic to them even though they often love the taste of the stuff.

Can't think of anything else, enjoy your new dog.

SnowyOwl
    thought it was illegal now to give bones to dogs.one of those stupid laws from brussels
  • rjh090384
    Options
    thanks for your advice. he isnt a puppy. we got him from the pound at carryduff. they say he is 4 but we really think he is more like2 or 3. going to take him to the vet this week. anyone recommend a good vet in the down area (ards region)??
  • moose2
    moose2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    The best vets on your side of Northern Ireland are: Earlswood Vets on the Belmont Road, having been referred to them with my very ill German Shepherd, I am still amazed at their caring, thoughtful behaviour, it was as if they had known me and my dog forever.....which they had not.
  • belfastgal
    belfastgal Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Gortlands vet at the top of the Gilnahirk Road is excellent.
  • rjh090384
    Options
    quick question about m and s insurance...does it cover the dog for a lifetime...i know someone who was caught out by tesco insurance when their dog developed a condition and now tescos wont renew their policy
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi rjh090384

Sorry don't know the answer to that M&S question, but as far as I can tell suki1964 is recommending them on that basis (see her post below/above/wherever it is!). As you're going to register with a vet maybe a wee chat with one of the nurses may be enlightening as to what insurer is worth paying money to.

BTW good on you for taking a dog from the pound! Just another few days and s/he would have been put to sleep. You are an :A! Whoever had the dog before and allowed it to end up in the pound really needs a good kick up the ears (ears = anagram) - they don't deserve an animal ever. What scum.
  • Careful_girl
    Careful_girl Posts: 938 Forumite
    Options
    Ours is fed on Bakers complete. It has a puppy one too. We buy a huge bag from Tescos and it lasts ages. It doesn't smell or go off. It is good for their teeth too. Don't have pet insurance but some want it. I buy a duvet from Tescos and cut it up and put a cover on it. There are some beds in http://www.robinsons-uk.com/ and lots of cheap dog stuff.
    As they say keep everything away from it until it has stopped chewing.
    Happy times!!:j
    CG and Charlie.
    "You can if you think you can."
    George Reeves
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business