New Boiler Quotation

Options
Having a nightmare as our boiler has all but packed up over the past week... also it falls just outside the scrappage scheme which is a shame as a £400 rebate would be nice!!

Anyhow, our local friendly boiler chap (who happens to be a friend) has provided the following quotes:

Worcester 15i System @ £2100 - This would be fitted where old boiler is in the kitchen
Worcester 30si Combi @ £2550 - This would be fitted in the air cupboard once hot tank removed and requires gas pipe to be run across from other side of house

We're favouring the Combi (straight forward 3 bed house with 1 bathroom).

How do the prices sound?
Is a Combi worth the extra over a System?

Comments

• studentjames
    Options
    i think it depends what type of boiler you have in now, if it is simply replacing a combi boiler for another combi boiler then this is quite a simple job. i need to replace me combi boiler for another combi boiler and i also have a friend who is a gas engineer, he said that the labour charge would be £350 and he we would charge me what it cost him for the boiler. i dont know what the labour costs would be if it wasnt, but i think £2550 might be a bit expensive.

have a look at this ebay listing, they are selling a worcester 30si combi and installation for £1560, but there might be different charges for different things,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WORCESTER-30SI-COMBI-BOILER-SUPPLIED-AND-FITTED-2-YEAR_W0QQitemZ170365718577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item27aa969031

still might be worth having a look at though, and maybe searching ebay for other boiler + fitting deals
  • studentjames
    Options
    p.s. that ebay listing is only if you live in certain areas, but you can probably find an ebay listing with your area
  • Jonmurgie
    Options
    Thanks for the links and your thoughts... the price for the Combi includes moving it from the kitchen to upstairs and all additional plumbing that entails (such as running gas from downstairs outside in and across the house to the new position). Its a fair bit of work and much more than just swapping out once Combi for another.

eBay is all good and well but I'd only feel happy using a local firm :)
  • arfurrrr
    arfurrrr Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    for a system to a combi swap + sound like extra flueing £2.5k is reasonable . guess he is cleaning system , trv`s , new programmer etc
    Arf :think:
  • Jonmurgie
    Options
    Thanks Afr, that's exactly what I figured really as it's not a simple boiler swap and will indeed include system flush, new programmer (inc. wireless stat) though all our rads already have trv's so no need for new ones.

Another thing going for him is he can do it very quickly indeed... not because he's dodgy, just that he picks and chooses his jobs and is a friend (though not sure I'm getting any mates rates though!)
  • Jonmurgie
    Options
    Just to finish this thread up... had a second set of quotes from another well recommended plumber:

Worcester 30si Combi @ £2085
    Worcester 30cdi Combi @ £2179
    Worcester 37cdi Combi @ £2295

He is also an accredited Worcester installer so we get a 5 year warranty on the boiler instead of the 2 the other chap could offer (i.e. the default).

Needless to say this guy has got the job and we've gone of the 37cdi so we can run a shower off it in future and it can easily heat our detached house :T
  • Scrooge2
    Scrooge2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondered - do the prices you've quoted above include VAT ? I had roughly the same costs given verbally, but when I asked for a written quote, VAT was added to it which brought the prices up !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure