🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'Capital Returns' - has anyone dealt with them before?

Options
Hi,

We were recently contacted by a company called 'Capital Returns' who are saying they think they an get us about £22'000 in compensation! We have gone through quite a lengthy assessment process and everything seems legit.

The thing is now they are saying they need £1000 up front in order to fund the claim (and that if we use the credit card for this we can claim it back within the compensation claim.) This has begun to ring alarm bells and I'm getting the feeling the prospective compensation sounds too good to be true.

Has anyone dealt with this company before? Is it normal for these companies to charge so much for a claim? That ammount of money could really come in handy right about now. Any advice would be apreciated.

Comments

• sharpdeath
    sharpdeath Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Phone them back and say "If you're so confident, win our money back first THEN take the fee out of that..." I bet they don't!
    Anyway, use the template letters on here if you have an interest in a claim. There's lots of help on here and will cost you a max of about £15.
    Good luck!
    All the time you're watching your back, you can never look forward...
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2010 at 8:59PM
    Options
    for a start they are not meant to cold call you...

New warning to businesses on taking up-front fees and cold calling

In response to complaints received from consumers, we are reminding claims management businesses about the rules about taking "up-front" fees and "cold calling". The attached Warning sets out the details and should be read by all businesses and particularly those dealing with Unenforceable Consumer Credit Agreement claims. We have been working closely with the OFT to address malpractice in this sector and this Warning is issued in conjunction with an OFT press notice issued today at http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2009/72-09.

and read this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/loans/2010/01/borrowers-warned-over-upfront-fee-debt-write-off-claims
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

We were recently contacted by a company called 'Capital Returns' who are saying they think they an get us about £22'000 in compensation! We have gone through quite a lengthy assessment process and everything seems legit.

The thing is now they are saying they need £1000 up front in order to fund the claim (and that if we use the credit card for this we can claim it back within the compensation claim.) This has begun to ring alarm bells and I'm getting the feeling the prospective compensation sounds too good to be true.

Has anyone dealt with this company before? Is it normal for these companies to charge so much for a claim? That ammount of money could really come in handy right about now. Any advice would be apreciated.

Hi there

Did you sign anything with this company?

You can check these out with the Ministry of Justice here:
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/contactus.htm

I have not heard of them myself before, but many may have done and will post up with some info for you, but personally I would not bother, if you've not signed anything I would move on from this and try to have a go yourself with help from this site, all free.;)

Good luck with this.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • sharpdeath
    sharpdeath Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    How do they know, by phoning you out of the blue, you're owed money?
    All the time you're watching your back, you can never look forward...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember that most claims companies have a woeful success rate and indeed some have yet to recover anything. Many are financed purely on the basis of hope and this up front money you pay.

As recent test cases in loans and credit cards have gone against the claimants (and claim companies), there are fears that some claims companies will go into administration leaving you little chance of getting your money back.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • highway_star_2
    Options
    I had a call from them in the autumn of 2009. Its remarkable how that fee keeps cropping up! They claimed they could get back over £3k for me from an old loan and all I had to do was put up a fee for them to progress it....amount?....just under £1,000! hmmm.

I have seen from my bank accounts that my partner for some reason paid a fee of £95 to them around October '09 (I assume she had some kind of pressure phonecall and paid something up front). I have written to them pointing out that we have nothing in writing about their action or indeed signed any contract to progress this 'claim' and that we owe them zilch and indeed should have paid them not a single penny. No surprise the claw back I am claiming for £95 is proving difficult. I can cope with being scammed for £95 but a grand?! :tongue:

I was suspicious from the out set. After all, if they can quote figures so readily about how much you are due back why is it so expensive to get it?!! bottom line for me....they have invented inflated 'possible' figures and have no idea as to the success of any claim. I think it would be reasonable to assume your £1k fee would disappear too if the claim failed. DONT GO NEAR THEM! :eek:
  • drowningindebt_3
    Options
    A friend received credit card statement today and Capital Returns had taken £950. Friend thought it was no win no fee deal. Phoned Capital Returns this morning and guess what they have been suspended by the Ministry of Justice.
  • gilly7uk
    Options
    They have been suspended. My advise would be to contact your credit card provider and ask them to recall the money as you paid for a service which you clearly will not be receiving x
  • Stuart_1980
    Options
    COWBOYS

There are a lot of good claims management companies out there amongst all the bad ones. They charge a fee for a service which some people can't, daren't, won't do themselves and for that reason you can't fault them. But you should never be asked to pay a fee upfront. I'm glad to hear they have been struck off!
  • Stuart_1980
    Options
    COWBOYS!

Glad to hear they have been struck off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts