We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Electric Fire

Options
Hi

I have a fairly large living room and have also one of those electric fires that comes with 'fake' coal which is attached to a marble fireplace - in recent weeks with the cold and stuff you can feel the cold air coming through and gets pretty cold in the room esp feet - a few questions:

1) Is there some sort of cover I can buy that will keep the air away - Just stuck newspapers before but not really worked.

2) If I was to buy a replacement what type should I go for? Would it be easy to replace

Hope this makes sense - could not find a pic on the internet :(

Thanks

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    why is the back open at all? (behind the fire).

it needs blanking off completely.
    Get some gorm.
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its not open - not sure what you mean.....
  • totalsolutions
    Options
    >Its not open - not sure what you mean....
    Did you answer your own "ask" ?

Re-read the replies below

>some sort of cover I can buy that will keep the air away - Just stuck newspapers
    >before but not really worked
    >why is the back open at all? (behind the fire).
    >it needs blanking off completely.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    is this a parallel universe or summat?
    :confused:
    Get some gorm.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    aj9648 wrote: »
    Hi

I have a fairly large living room and have also one of those electric fires that comes with 'fake' coal which is attached to a marble fireplace - in recent weeks with the cold and stuff you can feel the cold air coming through and gets pretty cold in the room esp feet - a few questions:

1) Is there some sort of cover I can buy that will keep the air away - Just stuck newspapers before but not really worked.

2) If I was to buy a replacement what type should I go for? Would it be easy to replace

Hope this makes sense - could not find a pic on the internet :(

Thanks

Sadly it does not.
  • jrrowleyws
    Options
    Does it back onto a chimney breast? If so I think what people are trying to say is... Remove electric fire. Block off chimney (poss with a small vent hole to prevent damp). Replace electric fire. Should minimise the cold air.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    It is very hard to help some people.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry guys - yes not much of a DIY person

The chimney has already been taken out some time ago and there is a vent to the outside of the building

The floors are also damn cold - even the carpet - we have a fairly large basement - is that an issue?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure