Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

How long does double glazing last? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

How long does double glazing last?

20 replies 41.3K views
2»

Replies

• Hardwood frames will last a lifetime if maintained properly, and just cost slightly more than plastic. Its a shame everyone has bought into the UPVC scam.

The downside to hardwood is of course the maintenance and more so they tend to have a higher rate of failure on double glazed sealed units.
  • 27col27col Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like when a bob a job lad asked a chap for a job. The man said "You can paint the porch". Later on the lad came back and said "I couldn't find a Porsche, so I painted the Aston Martin".
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K posts
    even the 'good' ones aren't going to last the 100+ years my wood windows have thats for sure
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • SuzkinSuzkin Forumite
    514 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Suzkin wrote: »
    Hi,

I still have hardwood frames. Inside the frames are perfectly fine; outside, they are rotting (i.e. the varnish has gone and the wood has 'ridges').

What is the best way to go about repairing them? :rolleyes: I don't want to pay for double glazing: can't afford it! :o

Thanks.

Hi,

Can anyone advise, please?
    Thanks. :o
  • Window Doctor (other companies out there), Franchise but most guys are ex fitters.
    will normally help. PVC does not last forever like the adverts said it would. Screw holes get brittle, pvc gets dull.
  • Suzkin wrote: »
    Hi,

I still have hardwood frames. Inside the frames are perfectly fine; outside, they are rotting (i.e. the varnish has gone and the wood has 'ridges').

What is the best way to go about repairing them? :rolleyes: I don't want to pay for double glazing: can't afford it! :o

Thanks.
    Cut out any rotten bits, then fill with wood filler, then varnish/paint

Then keep up with the maintenance
    My advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it!

"Never, in the field of banking bailouts, has so much been owed by so few, to so many."
    Anon.
  • TomsMomTomsMom Forumite
    4.2K posts
    My mom's house was double glazed with UPV windows/doors over 30 years ago. She's getting on now but has always cleaned down the outside fairly regularly and they still look like new. In all that time she has only had one DG unit fail, one window is misting up between the panes on very cold days but she's not bothering to get it replaced (at 86 and ill she doesn't see the point), it doesn't affect the window's performance. She used a local firm.
  • rachbc wrote: »
    even the 'good' ones aren't going to last the 100+ years my wood windows have thats for sure

Them windows must have been really well maintained, in this day and age people are too busy to sand down and restain all the windows in there house just the same as fascias and soffits, pvc are a lot more maintainance free and more energy efficient!
  • The problem with wooden windows is the maintenance required, my neighbours had new wooden ones installed and it took them over a month (on weekends) to stain them all and worse still the finish is not the best, and they still havnt painted the insides yet!
  • edited 20 January 2010 at 1:38PM
    The_WallThe_Wall Forumite
    87 posts
    edited 20 January 2010 at 1:38PM
    Suzkin are you sure they are rotting? If it is just a case of the varnish have gone, and the wood starting to crack, then you could try stripping back to the bear wood and then applying sikkens cetrol HLS followed by sikkens Filter 7, or a similar product.

Did this with the hardwood frames when we moved into the house, and they lasted another 8 years.

P.S. Forgot to say that each following year I did clean the frames and apply another coat of the sikkens Filter 7
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support