metal blinds - best/quickest way to clean

Options
Hi does anyone know of the best way to clean metal blinds, have tried cleaning by hand but its a nightmare, is there anything I could soak them in - in bath for instance- that would clean them up?

Many thanks in advance
2007 £1749
2008 £291.99
2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
total so far for 09 £92.99

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    we used to have white metal blinds in this house when i moved in.
    we soon realised that we could never clean them properly without a lot of hard work.
    (in the bath with lots of scrubbing using toothbrushes etc...)

so we trashed them and fitted normal curtains/nets.
    Get some gorm.
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    well I guess its a bath for them then :-)

Does anyone know of an effective solution I could use in the bath to help shift any dirt off them?

thanks in advance
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • Weeyin
    Weeyin Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I think fairy liquid type stuff should be enough, something that can cut through grease.
  • chloeparrot
    Options
    Most effective method is to completely immerse the blind in hot, soapy water and leave to soak for about 30 minutes (longer if very dirty). Wipe slats with a cotton cloth (tea towel type as washing up sponge will disintegrate due to the metal edges). Any stubborn stains can be removed with a Jiff-type cream.

The main trick is to do this regularly, say once a month as the more often you do it, the less time it will take!:T
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine are too large for the bath, so they get laid out on a thick towel and dust sheet on the floor and washed with a non-stick scourer and washing up liquid, working from the middle out.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport