Central Heating problem!

Options
Hi there,

I'm a student living in 3 others in a pretty large house. Recently, we've found that the radiators were just not heating up, so we bled them all and this has worked for the majority of them, except the one in my room. Its the room technically furthest away from the boiler.
I bleed this everyday getting a substantial amount of air out of it, sometimes even a few times a day! It makes odd noises afterwards but still doesnt get very hot, only at the bottom. Obviously there is either not enough water in it, or too much air? To add to this, the pressure on the boiler downstairs reads extremely low... How can I fix this situation? Is there a fix?
I'd rather do this myself than call the landlord out as their workmen are a bit like Dumb and Dumber...

Thanks for any advise!

Comments

• gardnt1
    gardnt1 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly get the pressure on the boiler right by use of the filling loop....should be a hose with tap on that you can top this kind of boiler up with and increase pressure to the correct amount indicated on gauge. This should always be monitored.
    If radiator still problematic after this, then try balancing system, by encouraging water to feed to yours first...do this by reducing the valve position on the rad (not the thermostatic heads if you have these but the lockshield)
  • sav_606_rebels
    Options
    thats great, thank you very much, I'll have a go at that tonight, and keep my fingers crossed that I dont do something stupid...
  • roger196
    roger196 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The pressure should be raised to 1.5bar ( a few boilers use 1.0bar so check the users manual) when cold. Open the valve on the filling loop just a little (usually a screwdriver slot) so that the pressure rises slowly. If you go to far, bleed a little water from one of the rads. When you have finished the filling loop should be disconnected to prevent contamination between the CH water (often black with ferric oxide) and the mains drinking water. If the filling loop was not disconnected before, leave it as it is but mention to landlord. If the pressure falls below 0.8 bar (0.5 bar on some models) the boiler will stop working until the pressure is restored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure