Dial Up

Options
Ken68
Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
Can't get broadband here,or cable, and am on dial up ISP Tiscali Daytime with Tiscali Accelerator.
BUT...I do have a 300gb hard drive.
Is there anything technically I can do to increase speed.
TIA.

Comments

• albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Decadent_Fool
    Options
    I'm afraid no speeding up of your machine in any way, or increasing it's capacity (such as having a large hard drive) will dramatically speed up your internet connection.

Sorry to be gloomy :)
    Doing my best as a contrarian investor...property, banking...let's see how it goes ;)
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried using another ISP. A friend of mine had consistently poor throughput speeds when using Tiscali on dial-up.

See here for some others to experiment with.

Unfortunately your big hard drive will not help at all.

;)
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Options
    Another option would be ISDN it would increase your speed up to 128k but it is expensive and not all ISP's suport it
  • Decadent_Fool
    Options
    Depending on where you live, you could petition with others in your village to get BT to upgrade the exchange; it worked for a friend of mine's village.
    Doing my best as a contrarian investor...property, banking...let's see how it goes ;)
  • Ken68
    Options
    Yes keep thinking of moving but tried Tesco, they were dead slow and tiscali with it's Accelerator aint too bad. Pay £8 a month now and do quite a bit of surfin'. No real need except daytime.
    Thought there was an issue,Albertross, with satelite having to go out (or in) at a different speed. BUT...do have a redundant Sky dish, not sure they would give permission.
    Thank you for the replies, not too techie but thought that perhaps downloading favourite site pages (as in offline manner)would increase speed.
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    satellite upload uses the phone line, download uses the dish. But most of what the average person does is downloading, so you will get a significant speed advantage over dial-up.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Ken68
    Options
    Might give it a go, Albertross, even if only to get something back from the sky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure