Please Help

Options
Blakespops
Blakespops Posts: 394 Forumite
edited 13 January 2010 at 12:57PM in Disability money matters
Hi All.

Some of you will know I went through the ringer to get my DLA (guessing they turn down most just to hope they do not fight it at tribunal).

Anyway now I have it And have a car under motability, my home is owned by housing association, I live on a blind bend and if was to park in front of house and attempt to get from wheelchair to car run risk of someone going into back of me. Have asked the HA if they could remove the hedge in front of our house as we have paving slabs down so could drive and park off road thus being safer for everyone. They say yes but only thing stopping it is we need dropped curbs, they seem unwilling to do this but at the same time say if I can find a way to get the work done they WILL do everything else.

local county council will not offer any help and say cost would be £800.

before we got the car I had not even given this a moments thought although I guess we should, others do park on road and I know of a few very near misses.

this said my question to you is simple, would anyone know what or if there is anything I am missing in who to ask or is there any help out there for getting this sorted?

Have asked the council about Disabled facilities grant(SP) but as is HA home we would not be able to claim even if it was covered

thank you all so much for your time in advance
Only through Christ can we find freedom

Comments

• Fantabulous
    Options
    The Social Services should be able to help you with this problem and will advise on any grants available to you
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Blakespops wrote: »
    Have asked the council about Disabled facilities grant(SP) but as is HA home we would not be able to claim even if it was covered
    Says who? I've just looked at this and it seems to be fine if you're renting, and even that the landlord can apply on your behalf.

Don't know if you would get it, but that's certainly something to investigate further.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Blakespops
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Says who? I've just looked at this and it seems to be fine if you're renting, and even that the landlord can apply on your behalf.

Don't know if you would get it, but that's certainly something to investigate further.
    Did ask the local council department whom state that they would not be able to offer any help as the Grants are for only things that I have full control of and as the house is rented from HA it would be down to the HA to pay and provide the service.

Further to that he stated that the curb is not classed as "Providing access to or from the property" even after I pressed him he said that anything beyond property boundry is excluded.
  • Blakespops
    Options
    The Social Services should be able to help you with this problem and will advise on any grants available to you
    Did ask but they state this is not in their powers and they have no ideas what I should try next, that was why I thought of asking here
  • Lorne
    Lorne Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    My experience is that grants are only for privately owned properties whether the owner occupier lives in them or rents it. It does not cover housing associations who attract their funding from section 3 grants following a signed approval from social work that they would meet the criteria for the work to be done. So my advice would be first step would be for an OT assessment to see if you meet the criteria for having the adaptation done and they consult with roads to ensure that it is safe and appropriate for the work to be done. If approved the housing association will be able to apply for the funding. If you don't meet the criteria but roads say that it is possible to do the work then it needs to be self funded although there are some charities that provide 'accessibility grants'. If roads say no then nothing can be done. Hope that helps, PM me if you need any more info.
    Thanks for the advice Martin! :money:
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family