Email from Powergen - price rises

Options
fraser
fraser Posts: 277 Forumite
Just got this at 12:09 today

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From 31 January 2005, your Powergen EnergyOnline prices will rise by around 14p* a day. You'll find details of your new charges opposite.

Although we've delayed these price rises for as long as we could, there are many reasons why they're increasing now. For example, producing energy is now more expensive, which means costs have risen for all suppliers. What's more, because the UK's gas supply is declining, we're spending more on importing gas from overseas. We're also investing millions into building renewable energy sites and securing reliable supplies for the future.

We've done all we can to keep the rise as low as possible. Which is why we're pleased to announce that for the average dual fuel customer, we're still cheaper than British Gas. Take our gas and electricity prices with Powergen EnergyOnline for starters. With us, you'll be £64** a year better off, on average, than you would with British Gas.

That's not all. Visit our new free online service at https://www.energyefficiency.powergen.co.uk and in a couple of clicks, you could save money on your energy bills†.

While we've explained the reasons for the price rise, we hope you understand that we're not alone in experiencing these increased costs. We're still committed to making sure you enjoy nothing but the finest service and energy supplies now and in the future.

Yours sincerely

Elaine Harley
Customer Service

* Price increase is shown inclusive of VAT, and is based on a Monthly Direct Debit payment at an annual consumption of 20,500 kWh for gas and 3,300 kWh on an unrestricted meter, averaged nationally.

** Saving based on a standard British Gas monthly Direct Debit unrestricted dual fuel customer (including paperless billing discount) switching to Powergen EnergyOnline for electricity and gas and continuing to pay by monthly Direct Debit. This saving is averaged nationally and is based on consuming annually 20,500 kWh for gas and 3,300 kWh for electricity. Saving includes VAT and may vary according to payment method, region and consumption. Savings depend on a customer complying with the rules of EnergyOnline. Valid at 31 January 2005.

† Savings depend on your home's current energy rating and subsequent measures installed.

New Charges =

Electricity - Unrestricted
Standing charge
11.5 (p/day) Ex VAT
12.08 (p/day) Inc VAT
Unit rate
5.79 (p/kWh) Ex VAT
6.08 (p/kWh) Inc VAT

Gas
Standing charge
12 (p/day) Ex VAT
12.6 (p/day) Inc VAT
Unit rate
1.55 (p/kWh) Ex VAT
1.628 (p/kWh) Inc VAT

You'll see these prices on your statements after 31/1/2005. We value you as a customer and hope you stay with us. Despite the increase, we're still one of the most competitive energy suppliers in the UK. However, if you'd like to change supplier, please contact us within 14 days of receiving this email and we'll ensure you're not affected by this price increase during your transfer.

>:(

Comments

• fraser
    fraser Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    I joined around the same time as you.

I too recieved the email before christmas saying that my prices would not be going up.

but i have now recieved the above which tells me this has changed... :-X
  • kevinbev
    kevinbev Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I also registered with Powergen Oct/Nov time. At this time they said any new customers would get a price freeze which I think was for 2 years. Got the e-mail the other day about the price increases so sent an e-mail to them about the so called price freeze for new customers. No reply as yet except for the automated one to acknowledge receipt. Then again I dont think I will receive a reply. Since I signed up to Powergen I have sent then numerous e-mails and not heard a thing. The automated reply still saying the had received my enquiry and they would try and deal with it in 24 hrs, but due to them being much busier than expected, would deal with it in 7 days! What a joke, I have been waiting for nearly 2 months (obviously have my correct e-mail address to tell me about the price increase). Anyway lesson learned, so most likely will start hunting for new supplier shortly. Another thing is that when I signed up they said they would send me an energy saving pack of goodies which included an energy saving light bulb plus other bits. I was supposed to get this within 2 weeks, still waiting.
  • nellie_the_el
    Options
    I too signed up for Powergen in October. I rang Tesco Clubcard yesterday as the 1000 points did not appear on my last statement. I was advised they have now been credited.

I also received an email advising that the prices will increase this month, so it's back to Energyhelpline for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure