Storage Containers experience anyone???

Options
I've searched the site and can't find info on this anywhere.

We are looking to store contents of house for up to 2 years while we go travelling.
Have tried a few places and the in-door purpose 'self store' places are very expensive.
We have got a quote for half the price for a shipping container to use as storage.
Has anyone had any experience using these before for storing house contents long term?
Will they be ok?
Is there a chance of mold or damp getting in??
will fridge, beds, sofa's etc be useable after 2 years in storage???

Have done the maths and price of storage is way cheaper then value of items, so is worth storing.

any help and advise would be appreciated, looking at doing this within the next week.
thks
Saying Thank You doesn't cost anything :beer:

Comments

• dander
    dander Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I had the contents of my house put in storage with Bishop Moves a couple of years ago, which involved them bringing shipping containers to my house and loading them up with my stuff. I have to be honest, I don't know how they then stored the containers, inside or outside, but I had no damage at all to the contents when they came out - which was admittedly only four months later, so a bit different from your two years, but it was winter. My feeling is that if it is a storage method that the major removals firms use, it is probably pretty reliable.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    ive not used a container for personal effects but ive used a garage. a lot of items were ruined.
    its the winter/spring months that do the damage. condensation is a real problem.
    Get some gorm.
  • hells_2
    hells_2 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    I think it probably depends on the location.
    I have a 75sqft container (shipping container type) located on a large industrial estate.
    The contents have been perfectly fine for nigh on 18 months.
    Which reminds me, I must empty it soon and give the keys back!
    (I don't pay for it...it was a favour from a client)

The settee we now use at home was stored from Sept 08 to May 09 and not a mark on it; together with other stuff for the house. Just full of rubbish now, old pictures, records, photos and camping gear. I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and it was all A-Ok.
  • ocalllo
    ocalllo Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all the responses...i did hear condensation was a problem, so they suggest that someone comes and opens it up to breath 'every now and then' - not sure how often that means?

We based in North Wales and container would be outdoors in a yard just.
    Saying Thank You doesn't cost anything :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport