🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gas Safe or HHIC ?

Options
All

A Heatline engineer checked my gas boiler (C28) yesterday and informed me that my boiler needs to have a system clean. Should I be looking for GasSafe engineers or HHIC engineers?:confused:
Thanks in advance

Comments

• abtmay
    abtmay Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    :confused:anyone?
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    abtmay wrote: »
    anyone
    u answered your own question...:D
  • abtmay
    abtmay Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    u answered your own question...:D

You mean a HHIC engineer who is GasSafe registered?:confused:
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No i mean "anyone" can do it.. You can DIY it if you want :) Never even heard of HHIC...just another meaningless acronym to me.

Though do you mean powerflush or a hot chemical flush. The former requires a powerflushing machine (can be hired) plus the ability to fix leaks should they spring up! The latter is really easy to do yourself for about £25 (cost is the chemical cleaner and inhibitor) and you'll need a length of hosepipe, a radiator bleed key, something to open up drain off points (ideally a spanner) and a few hours of your time on two days a month apart.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2010 at 6:07PM
    Options
    abtmay wrote: »
    All

A Heatline engineer checked my gas boiler (C28) yesterday and informed me that my boiler needs to have a system clean. Should I be looking for GasSafe engineers or HHIC engineers?:confused:
    Thanks in advance

Good afternoon: if you consider yourself competent you could DIY a flush. The HHIC, the Heating and Hot Water Industry Council maintains a voluntary register of heating installers who have signed up to the Benchmark Scheme and is a wealth of information on heating and hot water. GSR is the mandatory registration body for gas installers, and the CIPHE, the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering, maintains a voluntary register of qualified plumbers (many of whom also belong to HHIC and GSR;)) Any of these could theoretically powerflush/chemical flush a CH system.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport