Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Selling empty house should I 'dress' it or leave it empty? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Selling empty house should I 'dress' it or leave it empty?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
25 replies 26.9K views
13»

Replies

• clairehiclairehi Forumite
    1.4K posts
    if yopu are on a limited budget, it may be better spent on repainting throughout and getting the carpets steam cleaned, so the place looks nice and fresh.

we found a guy who steam cleaned all the carpets in our 4 bed rental place for £70, it made them look almost like new.
  • TassottiTassotti Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I had a house for sale which an estate agent valued at 160K. The place was empty.

After several viewings, no offer. Hired Furnishings..same agent revalued at 10K more. Back on market..increased sale price by 8K. (cost to hire £800)
  • GamblerGambler Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tassotti wrote:
    I had a house for sale which an estate agent valued at 160K. The place was empty.

After several viewings, no offer. Hired Furnishings..same agent revalued at 10K more. Back on market..increased sale price by 8K. (cost to hire £800)

But did you sell?
  • TassottiTassotti Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Agent valued at 10K higher..I sold for 8K higher
  • Jorgan_2Jorgan_2 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    In my experience the vast majority of viewers have very little imagination when it comes to viewing empty properties. I've had many discussions with people as to whether you can get a double bed in that room or a 3 seater sofa in another. I've even had to drag a double matress drom one room to another to show the viewer, who was adamant that you couldn't get a double bed in the second bedroom, that a double bed would fit. She then proceeded to make an offer on the property.

What ever you do, try & make the property as presentable as possible.

Don't forget to check your insurance, many policies are invalid if a property is empty for more than 30 days.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support