Vista Problems

Options
Hi anyone know how to get your netgear gateway to show up on vista, thanks netgear DG834G 54mbps wireless ADSL/firewall/router, + WG111v2 54mbps wireless USB 2.0 adapter all I want to do is get my gateway back up and running on both pc's thanks in advance T:mad:

Pls be nice to all MSer's
There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:

Comments

• MercilessKiller
    MercilessKiller Posts: 7,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heya.. I had big probs running vista and dg834g but sorted it out eventually....

The big problem is drivers.. you need to make sure your wirless card/adapter has suitable vista beta drivers.. NOT xp drivers.. if there are no vista drivers for your device, then really its a 50/50 whether its going to work (most prob not though)

Once youve got the correct drivers install, i recommend removing WEP encryption for testing purposes as by default, some WEP settings are used which may be different from the routers, and its a bloody performance to find the config setting which can change it :)

Make sure DHCP is on the router (default) and try using obtain ip automatically. Make sure firewalls off etc etc bla bla

Good luck
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    There was an answer for this in the Netgear forums but they are moving them so they are suspended for a few days. Remember that Vista is incompatible with Netgears Wireless utility so you need to install only drivers.

I take it you tried the way I suggested in the other thread?

Most of the XP drivers will work ( I know that the WG111t and WG111V2 work).

One thing to remember though. When you have your adapter identified and you can see it. If its not connecting you need to open network centre and then go to where your USB device is listed and select "view Status". Then click "properties" and click "configure". Go to the advanced tab and check that "regional Domain" is set to europe. For some reason the USB devices default to USA.
  • computerwoman
    computerwoman Posts: 4,075 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, I did try what you suggested with the wg111v2 it worked 1st time but then vanished when we turned off the pc's for the night, my router/modem come's up as a gateway on xp and on vista there's an icon which says DG834G but it wont configure, if I mess around to much it knocks me off all together, and after midnight download speeds are 8meg when f9 let me download, on the pc connected via ethernet but are very slow wireless. But I do like the look of vista, the shell of it, but I think I'll have to get a better router/modem for when it come's out, I have found something else that is interesting me, 18 month's ago I got suse linux pro 9.0 free when I bought some books on linux, and I could never get it on line, but I've been reading a thread about freeola and there's a link for linux adsl and linux wireless modems/routers which are the same as netgear but far cheaper, so I might just go onto that for a while, I wonder if my sons games will play with linux he's got star wars galaxies empire divided, and counter strike souces, so I'd better check first to see if I can get them to go with linux, as I do think they will play on linux. anyway thanks T

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family