What comes first CCCS or Find an IP?

Options
I am sure there is a value to CAB and CCCS and the like. But having spoken to quite a few people now, I am 99% certain that IVA is the route to go. Should I go through the CCCS route and will they recommend an IP, or do I find one myself.

I am going to get my Statement of accounts done tonight (incidentally anybody got a template for excel). I will find out exactly how deep in the doo-doo I am.

Obviously got a few people chasing at the moment, so whilst I am in the process of setting this up, what is the best method for holding Credit Card companies at arms length.

:confused:

Comments

• Charco_2
    Charco_2 Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    Options
    Most people on here will tell you to go to the CCCS - the CCCS will then tell you if they think an IVA or a DMP is the preferred option.

I would recommend that you find an IP who will not charge an up front fee. They will also go through your options with you and let you decide what you think your best option is.

If you want, do both! Speak to as many or as few as you think is necessary...

There is no great tactic at the moment for holding your creditors at bay... you don't want to give too much away just yet (you certainly don't want to your bank to know that you're considering insolvency until you have moved all your income streams away to a bank that you do not owe money to!)
    Would you ask the wolves to look after the sheep?
    CCCS funded by banks
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    I'd suggest you seek advice from 2 or 3 sources before you make your final decision (and yes I would recommend that at least one of the was CCCS).

You could try using this letter to give you a month or so breathing space - it only says you are seeking advice so shouldn't give them any reason to think you are considering an IVA - people use it when they are setting up DMPs.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=21937969&postcount=52
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • althas
    althas Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    CCCS for initial guidance, then have a look around for an IP and do NOT go with one that "introduces" you to someone else or where you have to pay ANYTHING upfront. There are to many reputable IP's for this to be an option these days

Have a scan of the interweb and a look at www.iva.com for the IP's, as they have a LOT of reviews and people's ratings for them. I found my I{P through there
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary
    Those that do
    Those that dont
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • robert71
    Options
    I think other members are right, and that the CCCS should be on your list. But if it's an IVA you would prefer, there are probably better organisations to go to. Here's a list of other debt charities http://www.talkaboutdebt.co.uk/community/blog/uk-best-debt-advice-charities to consider.

It's also worth pointing out that you can't apply for an IVA yourself.

Good luck.
    What makes me want to give back is I've needed debt help myself and come through it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure