MSE News: Big freeze could add £60 to energy bills

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"It costs £3 a day to heat a home, but this could rise by £1 a day during the cold snap, it's claimed ..."

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 January 2010 at 12:17PM
    Options
    Really? Who knew? Thanks for that amazing and enlightening article.

Edit: Okay, I apologise. Recalling and reading lots of posts on this forum there are a terrifying number of people who would not know.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This puts into perspective why all those on pp meters are complaining. It's just the time of year for using lots of gas.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • milliemonster
    Options
    Well, yes I think it goes without saying the more heating you need the more its going to cost!, don't think it takes a genius to work that one out, we're all just waiting for the energy companies to use this as an excuse to put the cost of gas/oil/electric up yet again, oh joy
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • WelshGandalf
    Options
    Nah, the next price increase (when it comes) will be put down to increasing system charges and environmental charges. These have gone up a lot recently. National Grid must be making a mint...
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    £3 a day - i wish. Its costing me upwards of £25 a day as we have electric heaters on full 24/7 just to take the chill off, i would love to feel toasty warm but that is all now a long distant memory.

Oh how i wish i had gas.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • JennyR68
    JennyR68 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    £3 a day - i wish. Its costing me upwards of £25 a day as we have electric heaters on full 24/7 just to take the chill off, i would love to feel toasty warm but that is all now a long distant memory.

Oh how i wish i had gas.

Do you live in a castle princess?
  • Decola
    Decola Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Oh how i wish i had gas.

£750 a month - really?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Oh how i wish i had gas.

You should be able to purchase 144kWh of electricity for a lot less than £25 (about 20% less, possibly more!)

Use the comparison sites in the resource bar above to get yourself a better deal.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Sandrock
    Sandrock Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options

Oh how i wish i had gas.

I replied to your other post in another thread, princesswoo.

You need to switch tariffs, you mentioned in the other thread that you used 144 units a day. So this means your unit rate is 17.36p. You should be able to almost cut this rate in half if you switch to another provider - I pay 8.95p/unit and that isn't the best rate on the market currently.
    Self confessed nerd when it comes to anything financial and/or numerical! :cool:
  • lechat
    lechat Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    or if your pipes freeze and burst.. even more!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure