Income protection cover...I have MS.

Options
I have just posted this on the insurance board, but I'm trying here as well

I've never had insurance before, but because I'm buying my first house I thought I'd look into it. I contacted Friends Provident and they have declined me income protection cover because I have a pre-existing condition, ms. They have offered me life cover, to the value of £45,000, for £14.72pm.
My mortgage is pretty small, £40,000, and I hope to have it paid off between 5-10 years. I am not worried about life cover as there will be enough equity in the house to pay the mortgage off and my son will inherit a tidy sum. My son does not live with me, I live alone.

I am 38 years old, and have been diagnosed with ms since 2006. I work full time.

So, can anyone recommend an insurance company that would look favourably on someone with ms.

Btw I notice that it says life cover premiums have been increased because I have ms, can they do that, isn't it against the disability discrimination act?

Thanks

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    The Help the Aged website gives details of insurers that will cover those with disabilities.

It is quite lawful for insurers to charge you more for life cover. Insurance premiums are worked out based on risk, and the unfortunate fact is that those of us with health conditions are more likely to die at a younger age.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    go to MS WEBSITE for info about insurance with MS,,they take the micky out of us,,because they do not know enough about the disease to give proper cover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure