🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Spinal Stroke Please HELP!!

Options
Hi,

I am hoping you guys will be able to help me or at least send me in the right direction, so here goes....

My mum who is 68 had a Spinal Stroke last week this is something i had never heard of before apparently quite rare, unfortunately this has left my mum paralyzed from the waist down we been told she may not regain the use of her legs again but apparently some have made recovery, so i remain optimistic!

My question is when they say my mum will allowed home she is going to need somebody there for her, obviously i would like to be the one to do this, i work full time on good pay for what i do...i have the obvious financial responsibilities like mortgage for one, would i receive any financial help if i was to go part time or if need be pack the job in? If so what kind of assistance would i be looking at?

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Regards x

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can only get financial help if you claim carer's allowance. In order to do this, your mum must receive attendance allowance. She must've ahd the needs for 6 months and they must be expected to last another 6.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It sounds like you're in a very difficult situation.

In this situation I would probably want to get some professional help - sometimes local council's have a Welfare Officer, GPs surgeries have Care Advisors and the CAB can also help. I'd be worried giving up your job would have implications on what you could apply for.

Also you can refer your mum to Social Services who can assess her. There may be equipment they can give her that will make her life easier, such as bath lifts, and grab rails. They also do have direct payments, where your mum could then pay for a carer with it.

The benefit board may have more knowledge as well, if you wanted to post there?
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • voteguido
    Options
    There is an EXCELLENT site www.Apparelyzed.com which provides masses of information on Spinal Cord Injury and has a very friendly forum with members sharing a huge wealth of experience, knowledge and understanding support.
    Experience is not what happens to you but what you do with what happens to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport