is it better to buy a new car b4 its registered or after???

angeleyes
angeleyes Posts: 308 Forumite
Hi
My local car dealer has an offer on nissan micras cos he says that they have lowered them so much as if they aren't sold by friday it will cost them more now i was thinking would i get a better deal b4 it's registered or after.
the car is £6999 for a newie over 5 yrs
thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Dealers pre-register cars to meet their sales quotas, and then sell them at a discount. So you can often pick up a car with no miles on it that is effectively several months old. It can be a good way of getting a bargain although sometimes the cars may be last year's specification.

If you're happy to do this try and haggle the price down even further. If they are desperate to sell, you should be able to do it. Good luck.
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Sounds as if he has registered some cars to meet his half yearly sales target (friday is last day of june so exactly half way through year)

He will be very receptive to making you a good offer if he is desperate to shift numbers. You can therefore push him very hard on a good deal.

Fill yer boots!
  • *!*HIBS*!*
    *!*HIBS*!* Posts: 551 Forumite
    Another thing to consider is that, doesn't pre-registered means that you effectively become the second owner on the car log book? :think: (I can't remember.) Well anyway, if you are the type of person that is worried about the number of previous owners on a log book when you come to sell (say in a couple of years time) then you might want to consider getting a car before it is registered. Whereas if you are not bothered about the selling price (when you come to sell it, or possibly even trade it) then you might want to go for the pre-reg car. :)

I'm not sure if you get the same warranty guarantee on a pre-reg as on a car before it's registered.

If their (his) sales target aren't met by say, thursday go in on a friday to haggle hard for a car before it is registered and get more for your money (like free car mats, tank of fuel, servicing etc). Remind him that you will be going to use his garage (even though you may not) and hopefully you will get a very good bargain. Remember that these types of deals will not be a once in a lifetime offer, so don't feel pressured into buying a car if say you don't need/want a car or an upgrade/exchange for a newer model. There is always next year. :)
  • steady__eddie
    steady__eddie Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Does this pre-registering business mean that you could lose a few months before it's due for its first m.o.t. ? That's obviously assuming that it lasts/you keep it that long of course ?
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    BEFORE buying pre - reg, make sure you....

Check what the REAL discounted price of a you as first owner model would be - you could find additional offers, like low /0% finance, or cashback from the car maker. Have a look on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk clik This Weeks Best Deals - GENUINE selling prices listed there, for loads of models, up to minute prices!

Do you still get 12 months tax, or just 6?

Is it UNUSED, ie only 10-50miles on the clock. Rather than a courtesy/demonstrator car, with maybe a few hundred?

a FULL tank of petrol included?

Has it had any bodywork repairs - remember it's not a BRAND NEW car, as it's USED vehicle now, so not quite the same expectations here. Quite often there can be minor repairs that you might not notice!!

& if I read OP correctly, are you looking to finance over 5 years? Thats a long time!! Remember it'll be out of warranty in 3 years (or less depending on date registered), so you'll be spending on maintainence, too!

If finances stretch, think about a shorter period - or an older car!!

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport