Wheelchairs and theatres

Options
A couple of months ago when the Peter Kay dates were announced we decided we'd go and see him in Manchester, it's the first time I've really been out to anything like this since I've been ill (3 years now) and I kind of expected to be seated with the rest of my family... Not the case.

If you're in a wheelchair you're expected to sit in a row away from anyone you came with- it is only a row in front or behind it would seem, but that's chance that I get to sit near my parents because we booked really early. Something that we weren't even informed of when we phoned the disabled booking line, we didn't find out till the tickets came through the post and we realised that one seat was on a completely different row to my parents.

In fairness I can just about manage sitting by myself, it's just a case of finding meds, taking the right meds, and being able to tell mum if I'm feeling rough and need to go out and lie on the floor somewhere, or even to the loo, I can't push myself far enough to do these things myself and trying to get her to hear me without being able to reach her to prod her isn't going to be particularly easy, and neither am I overly comfortable having to raise my voice to get her to hear me telling her I need to go to the loo!

I really think it's completely unfair, because I use a wheelchair, not even because I'm disabled, but because of the wheelchair I've been taken away and shoved with a "wheelchair gang"... (no offence! but just because I'm in a wheelchair and you're in a wheelchair, doesn't mean I'd rather sit with you than the people I came with!)

Anyone else found this? Am I over-reacting or is it worth writing a letter...?! Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Comments

• jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    I would write a letter - that's terrible! Part of going to these events is to go with yours family or friends - if not, people would go alone!
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    We went to the theatre last week and there was a boy in a wheelchair sitting with his carers, who were in the seats at the end of the row. I know the boy and his carers, so I know that he was with them and not somebody else - but this was a child and not an adult.

Personally, I would contact the theatre and ask to be seated in the end aisle with your family in the seats next to you - point out that if you need the toilet, you can't be expected to shout across the theatre. Under the DDA, public places need to make 'reasonable adjustments' for access - you can't access the loo without help, so a reasonable adjustment would be to sit you and your family together IMO.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    We went to the theatre last week and there was a boy in a wheelchair sitting with his carers, who were in the seats at the end of the row. I know the boy and his carers, so I know that he was with them and not somebody else - but this was a child and not an adult.

Personally, I would contact the theatre and ask to be seated in the end aisle with your family in the seats next to you - point out that if you need the toilet, you can't be expected to shout across the theatre. Under the DDA, public places need to make 'reasonable adjustments' for access - you can't access the loo without help, so a reasonable adjustment would be to sit you and your family together IMO.

This is completely impractical, the relevant seats will already have been sold. Also, the reasonable adjustment would be to provide the disabled person with an accessible seat. Whilst not being next to their carer is an inconvenience, it does not stop the carer having access to the disabled person.

Invasion, is it possible to get seats at another venue? The MEN is a nightmare for ablebodied people let alone those with mobility problems, and whilst I don't think that they have done anything wrong legally, I don't think you will have a good experience there.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • longhotbath
    Options
    Hi Invasion - yes - definately worth writing a letter and explaining how you feel. It has probably never crossed their mind...

Our theatre is similar - great in some respects - but if I book tickets for all 3 children, I have to find another adult as they sell the seats next to the wheelchair and carer seat first as they have more leg room, and I have to sit with the other two only. So we dont go very often. Their response - book as soon as the dates are released!
    Our theatre will only let wheelchair users sit in a wheelchair space - for health & safetl, they are not allowed to transfer!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Invasion - yes - definately worth writing a letter and explaining how you feel. It has probably never crossed their mind...

You can't expect them to phone up loads of people and say "sorry; we've had to move you, so someone else could sit there", or do you?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your help, dmg, these were the first dates out, I'm not sure there are even tickets left for other venues, and some of the dates aren't till next year earliest, but thankyou very much for the warning re accessibility. Do you know if we'll be able to park for free/reduced with BB?

It's just a shame, I know that they've not technically done anything wrong, apart from the fact that have a duty to tell you when you book you won't be seated next to the people you go with... I do understand the issues with fire safety etc it's just a shame really, it sounds extreme, but I probably wouldn't have gone had I known about this in the first place.

Will definitely be writing a letter highlighting the issues I have with the whole experience, if nothing else maybe it'll help someone else.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I know there is a car park very close by, but I'm not sure about BB parking, and all I know about it's location is that it is halfway between the Renaissance Hotel and the Arena.

I would be tempted to contact Peter Kay's management team. I think they know they made a bit of a mess by announcing Manchester as being the only dates and then adding more, so they may be willing to help.

I'm not sure where you live, but I am pretty sure that the NIA at Birmingham allow the disabled to have a carer sit with them. It is a few years since I have been, but the disabled area was laid out so you had a chair next to the wheelchair space. Maybe worth a call?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thinking of the way the wheelchair spaces were arranged last time I went to the cinema, have you checked where your seats are in relation to each other? Because if your mum will be sat right behind you, will that 'work' for you?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Invasion, not quite relevant, but it would be cool to meet you beforehand if you have the energy - I live in Manchester, as you may remember. :)

Unfortunately, wheelchair seats can only be in particular places in most theatres, so they have to all be together. It's a drawback, but for the most part, a architectural necessity.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Homemade_2
    Homemade_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I remember parking is not free.
    Why would it be anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport