We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
dodgy TV
stevej58
Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi everyone
Please could I get a view on this.
We bought a TV from a high St chain in Sep 09 and now and again it switches itself on...very scary at 1 am last night when we were woken up to the sound of Harrison Ford being shot at !!! - I have had an engineer out once who did a full reset, he said it was the software and said it should be OK now. Obviously it isn't - my question is can I request a replacement TV as it isn't fit or do I have to allow them to keep sending an engineer ?. I don't have so much a problem with an engineer coming, but if I have to start taking time off work to accommodate this then it is costing me for a fault that isn't mine.
Thanks for any help
Steve & Gail ( very spooked )
ps Dont worry Harrison Ford got away !
Please could I get a view on this.
We bought a TV from a high St chain in Sep 09 and now and again it switches itself on...very scary at 1 am last night when we were woken up to the sound of Harrison Ford being shot at !!! - I have had an engineer out once who did a full reset, he said it was the software and said it should be OK now. Obviously it isn't - my question is can I request a replacement TV as it isn't fit or do I have to allow them to keep sending an engineer ?. I don't have so much a problem with an engineer coming, but if I have to start taking time off work to accommodate this then it is costing me for a fault that isn't mine.
Thanks for any help
Steve & Gail ( very spooked )
ps Dont worry Harrison Ford got away !
0
Comments
-
how did you pay?0
-
Really you should unplug your tv at night as it could be a fire risk if left plugged in 24/7. Some might say the chances are small with a new tv, but I wouldn't put myself at risk no matter how small the chance.
IThe bigger the bargain, the better I feel.
I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.0 -
It also comes on in the day from time to time, so whilst I agree with your point on safety, it isn't exactly doing what it was built to do..0
-
Hello Steve.
I had the same sort of problem with an LG tv,i was lucky enough to get my money back on that.
I also agree with Cattie....when not in use especially at night,take out the plug.
Hope you get a good outcome.Forum spellcheckers are the pitts.0 -
Really you should unplug your tv at night as it could be a fire risk if left plugged in 24/7. Some might say the chances are small with a new tv, but I wouldn't put myself at risk no matter how small the chance.
I
Chances are less than small with current electrical goods I would say otherwise you will need to unplug the PC, fridge, freezer, radio alarm and anything else thats plugged in although I understand hair dryers are a no no.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/FireSafety/DG_071712
Is it turning on from standby?
Just turn it off with the power switch on the TV rather than leave it on standby this might help but not fix the fault though.
We had a touch dimmer switch that switched 8 ceiling spot lights on full in the bedroom on its own, scared the bejesus out of me when it first did this at 3 am.0 -
This happened to a tv that my parents owned. After some investigation it turned out that the tv had some sort of timer on it for programming it to come on and off, maybe your tv does as well?:staradmin5k - 00:27:46:staradmin 10k - 00:57.03:staradminHalf - 02:01:15:staradmin5M - 00:44:07:staradmin0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards