refund for loss of services

Options
magoogy
magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
i have had a constant loss of services for the past 4 months - the engineers have been out over 5 times and now, fingers crossed it is mended - they are offering me £50 compo for this when i pay £150 a month - obviously, i am not prepared to accept this..........any advice please?

thanks

Comments

• albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    loss of what services? phone? broadband? - £150?
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • magoogy
    Options
    sorry - im so vague - broadband - tv - and phone.............£150 is the channels;- sports/movies and that and phone/cable/phone charges all in one
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well to come to a "fair" cash price.... you should work out on average how much that is a day 150/30 = £5 .... times by number of days you lost the service... and then add on some extra for inconvenience and loss of enjoyment. If you had to take time off work for the engineer, include that too.

Break down and itemise the total cost in the letter, explaining how you arrive at your total...
    £5/day * 15 days loss of service = £75
    27 June - 1 day off work for engineer = £100
    inconvenience and loyalty charge
    etc etc

and send it to them by recorded delivery.

If it runs into many hundreds of £'s... you are likely i reckon to get higher "compensation" by asking for x number of months free service to make up for it.... rather than asking for the cash.

Of course, you could vote with your feet and go elsewhere.... after you get the compo of course :D
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strewth thats nearly £2K a year!
    I'd expect a gold plated service for that sort of outlay. I'd push them for more compo and then cancel the lot you must be able to get a better deal with Sky etc.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just put phone down to telewest after advice from this site.My phone hasnt worked for 2 weeks, I got £75.00 refund credit on my account, of which £25 was compensation, on the promise if my phone was not fixed by tomorrow they would renogotiate. I pay approx £80.00 a month for complete package ie phone tv and broadband........... Keep on and on and on and on...................Insist on speaking to a supervisor or his boss or his boss and so on.
  • magoogy
    Options
    i totally agree this is a lot - but, we also have a set top box in teens rooms - one in our bedroom and one in living room - forgot about them lol......they cost £45 a month for the boxes - ive told hubby he should cut down but he pays so he wont......aaarhghg - men
  • Timmy
    Timmy Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I had intermitant crackling on my BT phone line and had about 8 or so visits from BT who couldn't seem to fix the problem but they still tried to tell me I wasn't entitled to any compensation. Eventually they sent out a 'special' engineer that usually deals with phone taps and the like who traced the problem to a damaged cable buried somewhere down the street that was getting wet and causing the problem.

Anyway, after arranging to get it fixed he called me and advised me to push for compensation and to mention his name if I had a problem. The next thing I knew they gave me a check for just under £500! Certainly worth the fuss/hassle I thought!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure